Canon A570 IS Help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex1524

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I recently just bought the Canon A570 IS and im really excited!! I went snorkeling today and took a few pics however I wasn't as happy as I thought Id be. I see all your pictures and mine look horrible =-/ Obviously im just beginning and its not going to be up to par with you guys however i'm sure you know more about the camera then me. What are some important functions on this camera? I set the camera to underwater mode but thats it. I was reading up on a few threads about different setting and what not but dont know what any of that means. For example some pictures looked better with the flash while others looked better without the flash. When would I use the flash and when wouldnt I? If you guys can lead me into a better direction i would really appreciate it!!! Here are some examples of the pictures I took. I know there not the best lol

IMG_3669.jpg

IMG_3673.jpg

IMG_3681.jpg

IMG_3678.jpg

IMG_3690.jpg

IMG_3692.jpg

IMG_3697.jpg

IMG_3705.jpg

IMG_3707.jpg

IMG_3715.jpg

IMG_3714.jpg

IMG_3721.jpg

IMG_3744.jpg

IMG_3756.jpg

I went snorkeling at a place called Fowvey Rocks light house right off of Key Biscayne Florida. Heres a few pictures of the lighthouse.

IMG_3655.jpg

IMG_3654.jpg

no photos!!

Nice to see the photos now :)

Step one - head to the Pink Link in my signature if you haven't already, heck, even if you have, and read the excellent information our members have contributed about where to start and why to choose particular settings.

Step two - get your hands on a good book on the basics. Understanding Exposure is a must have for anyone who wants to get the most from their cameras, no matter what system you have. There are lots of other books out there, too. The Pink Link has a good list of resources for all interest levels!

Step three - use your internal flash when you are about 3' from your subject. I use an arm's length as a rough guide. Anything much beyond my fingertips is just begging for a) backscatter and b) lack of light from the flash as the subject is a bit too far. I find that at arm's length, I usually have to turn my Canon flash DOWN one click or it is too overwhelming. This gives a little flexibility for those things that are just a tad further - I can boost the power of the flash and "cheat" the distance a bit.

Step four - get off UW mode. Use manual white balance for subjects/scenes that are beyond 3' or so. Use M or Av or Tv mode - depending on your predilections. I prefer M even though I mostly set up my shutter at 1/125 or so and leave it alone most of the dive, only changing my aperture. M just gives me the most control. My beef with Av or Tv mode is that sometimes the camera will choose an aperture that is too wide open (making the images look soft) or a shutter that is too slow (making the shots all blue with blown out bright parts or making them blurry).

Step five - keep your ISO as low as possible to avoid the noise in the shadows and blues. A little experimenting to see what is acceptable to you is in order here.

Step six - go diving and have lots and lots fun! This should be the most important one :)

Awesome! Thanks for all the help. Its kind of late and i'm waking up at 6 to go on the boat in the morning so i'll read all the info you provided through the links tommrow. Thanks again =-)

ok, I think you should as well take some time to work the shooting angle & posture.
keep the camera at Av, use manual WB (e.g. try against a slate), don't use flash & use iso 80.

Well jeez, no wonder--you're shooting Canon! HEY, who shut off my air??? Ok, BAD joke around here, sorry. When you have time, do what Alcina suggests. When you say you see everyone else's photos looking better you need to realise how seriously different camera rigs can be. And the experience levels or the amount of post-production (ie-Photoshop etc.) that may have had to be done. Folks who don't have to do much or any post-tweaking have done a lot of testing (and may be using DSLRs, external strobes etc.) to get good results right out of their cameras. The other thing is what you probably realised after being on the boat; much easier to shoot while diving instead of holding your breath snorkeling, trying to get down to fish level.

You've got a decent camera but it is a point & shoot. I don't say that rudely, it's all I can afford for underwater work myself (a little old Fuji F-30). Above water I shoot very different equipment, so I appreciate what different systems can do. I like that I can enjoy diving and take some fun shots, that's what cameras like ours are really good for--keeping it fun (and wayyy cheaper!). Things is, even with basic cameras you can get better and take some very nice shots. Like diving itself, there is learning to be done. Doesn't mean it can't be fun though and you've done the right thing. Asked a question on SB. I better disappear now before any Canon owners read this...:eyebrow: // ww

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom