Canon A640 Strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mayhem

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a canon a640 with the canon underwater housing and a UK light cannon. Is it possible for me to attach the light cannon to the underwater housing to use it as a strobe??

Regards

You could make a tapered piece to fit the handle slots on the Light Cannon's body, then attach it to some sort of arm.

A few problems to consider:

The light is comparatively heavy and bulky. It will be a handful on a tray arm.

The light is very bright with a significant hotspot. The diffuser won't help all that much. You won't obtain even wide angle lighting coverage.

It will be overwhelming in close up situations. Critters may not stick around when you stick that thing in their face.

For photography you will need to have the light turned on most of the time. You are not supposed to turn those HID lights off and on alot. There is a significant warmup period after you turn the light on.

However bright it seems, it may not be bright enough to stop action on a moving critter.

Finally, the color balance may be a bit off for imaging applications.

IMHO, a compact strobe would be a better choice.

Mayhem, I have a Canon A620 in a Canon housing. I also have the UK Light Cannon. Last week we went down to Devil's Den and Ginnie Springs, this was my first opportunity to use both the camera and the light. I used the Light Canon extensively for video (I took about 70 minutes worth total). I used it with and without the diffuser disks and was extremely pleased with both the light and the camera. I preferred the video with the diffusers in place, the narrow beam of the Light Cannon without them gave the video a "Blair Witch" kind of effect.

I borrowed a strobe (Sea & Sea YS-25) and used it for stills (I've got a ways to go on learning how to use it). I don't think you would be happy using the Light Cannon in lieu of a proper strobe though.

Not having the Light Cannon attached to the camera was an issue as it tied up both hands. I just ordered an Ikelite IK9523.01 tray with handle and the necessary hardware to attach the Light Cannon to it. Gates makes an adapter for the Light Cannon to use with ball clamp mounts, B&H Video is the only place I could find that sells it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom