Canon A75-80 or S1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's the ticket for taking photos at depth without a strobe. The downside is that you must adjust the balance each time you change depth and each time the sun ducks behind a cloud -- but the results are worth the effort.

Todd

The underwater mode on the a75 states that it also reduces the effects of backscatter in the photo, which may well be worth it, especially if you are not going to get a seperate lens.

The new s60 also has an underwater mode, but I think that it is designed to get rid of the blue/green tint.

Peter

Last night I got a first look at the s60. My impression is that it's a very nice camera and I would choose it over the A80 and the S1. First, it can shoot in RAW mode. If you shoot RAW you can change the white balance later. Second, the lens starts at the equivalent of a 28mm. I would find this much more useful than the 38-whatever on the other cameras. Lastly, it has 5MP resolution. I think it offers the benefits of the Olympus C-5060 without the drawbacks (lens that won't work with the Inon adapter).

Thanks for the advice-I have really looked into the a75--I think i am gonna get it and the housing from Canon. I am really looking forward to it! ANy ideas on where i can get insurance-just in case?

Hi All,

It will not untill september that is will start using the camera for underwater, but it gives me sufficiant amount of time to get to know my camera and the diferent settings.
I will use the camera mainly with manual focus and with out external stropes.
I find the camera very easy to use and have to figure out how to set the two different custom settings which will be saved.

Canon A-80 4mp
Canon WP-DC900 Housing

pma:
The underwater mode on the a75 states that it also reduces the effects of backscatter in the photo, which may well be worth it, especially if you are not going to get a seperate lens.

The new s60 also has an underwater mode, but I think that it is designed to get rid of the blue/green tint.

Peter
What are you folks useing for external strobes. I went to the cannon site, they showed one but there was no explaination, name or link. Very strange? I do not own an UW yet put am looking hard and getting ready to purchase one. any help would be great. Thanks Rich

sgtmnstr:
What are you folks useing for external strobes. I went to the cannon site, they showed one but there was no explaination, name or link. Very strange? I do not own an UW yet put am looking hard and getting ready to purchase one. any help would be great. Thanks Rich

I'm not using an external strobe at the moment. As the cost of the external strobe is more than the cost of the underwater case and camera combined I decided I would wait. I have taken loads of photos, some good and lots not so good, and decided that just having a strobe wouldn't make my photos any better, but my technique could improve them alot.

I plan to get a strobe when/if I feel that my technique has improved enough so that my photos are being held back by not having it.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom