Canon Flash?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcui7ak2

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone give me some advice on the Canon Digital Lxus 400. I bought a underwater case and I wondered whether it was best to use a flash the deeper I dive as the pictures came out dark below 20 metres.

What do you think?

Annette

mcui7ak2:
Hi,

Can anyone give me some advice on the Canon Digital Lxus 400. I bought a underwater case and I wondered whether it was best to use a flash the deeper I dive as the pictures came out dark below 20 metres.

What do you think?

Annette

you can use the flash provided you are taking macro shots and will also depend on your cameras ability to focus up close.. if you are taking wide angle shots then i advice you not too since there will be some digital snow due to the floating particles in the water.

youre camera has limited manual functions so you may want to play around with what you have. tinker with the white balance and even try your underwater mode for better results.

More light is almost always better. The problem it that sometimes you'll get backscatter from stuff floating in the water. Dialing down the flash can help (I'm not sure if your camera can do it) as can getting in closer to your subject. For the wide angle stuff (as in anything more than 4' away) even the strongest internal flash isn't going to help. Instead, try doing it without the flash and using manual white balance.

mcui7ak2:
Hi,

What do you think?

Annette

Gidday Annette.

I started out with an Ixus 400, but soon found out it was pretty limited, as it's basically full auto. The camera was automatically going for the largest aperture and slowest shutter speed, giving me blurry shots unless I was close to the surface with lots of light. All I can say is get close, and if you think you are too close, get closer. Definitely use your flash, and if you have a wish list for birthdays or Xmas, put a camera with full manual controls on it. I wound up going to an Canon A95 which I love, but know I reckon a Canon A610 would be the go. Sorry it's not the news you really want to hear, but you will still get some nice shots from your camera. Just try and get as much sunny clear water as you can.

Regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom