Canon G10 + accessories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

barracuda

Registered
Reaction score
hi all !!

am looking to buy the G10 but would like to know which strobe and add on lenses to go for with the Canon uw housing.

am NOT a serious photographer but have been into photography as a hobby and am definitely looking to improve my rather limited photography skills without going in for an expensive system !!

also can someone suggest a reliable supplier in Hong Kong as i will be passing through on the way to Philippines with a group so i can pick up the same there ? any and all help and advice will be much appreciated. thanks.

venkat
barracuda diving india

There isn't any wide angle lens for the Canon uw housing for the G10. The only wide angle I know of is the one by Ikelite but some people are arguing about that.

For the strobe though, that is probably the big one that will close more then the camera as a good strobe will go for around $400 and up.

I just purchased a Canon G10 and Ikelite housing. I preferred the Ikelite housing because its very rugged and well built and it has the TTL function through the G10's hotshoe. I have not had first hand experience with the Canon's G10 case, but my buddy has one for an older camera and its not very well built "thin plastic case, mushy plastic buttons". Don't get me wrong, it does its job, but I do lots of rocky/heavy surf entries and I wanted something a little more durable. The Ikelite also has a wide angle lens which restores the G10's 28mm range. 28mm is barely wide angle, but its enough to satisfy my needs.

I have not purchased a strobe yet, but plan on getting one of Ikelites DS series strobes, so that I can use the TTL function.

There are some really good accessory lenses and adapters for the Canon's housing for shooting macro. Here are some examples: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/canon-corner/272649-new-adapter-canon-g10-housing-wp-dc28-uwca.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/canon-corner/273914-adapter-macro-lens-g10-wp-dc28.html

G10 is a poor choice for wet mount lenses, bad choice, choose another. Let me know how those wet mount lenses work out for you.

System approach = wherein the camera is simply a component of the system, the housing another and so on, if that component does not support the system requirements, wide angle, wet mount, etc, etc, you are dead in the water, don't care how fancy smancy you think the camera is.

N

G10 is a poor choice for wet mount lenses, bad choice, choose another. Let me know how those wet mount lenses work out for you.

System approach = wherein the camera is simply a component of the system, the housing another and so on, if that component does not support the system requirements, wide angle, wet mount, etc, etc, you are dead in the water, don't care how fancy smancy you think the camera is.

N

do you thing the g9 has the same issues with the wet mount lenses? I am interested in the g-9 but the only housings available are the ikelite (wet mount lenses) and canon, which does not accept add on lenses. What is the negative of wet mount lenses with these cameras?

do you thing the g9 has the same issues with the wet mount lenses? I am interested in the g-9 but the only housings available are the ikelite (wet mount lenses) and canon, which does not accept add on lenses. What is the negative of wet mount lenses with these cameras?

I would also like to hear the disadvantages of a wet lens for the G9 -- I have one and have been pleased with it.

These are from a trip to Coz last May:

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0662_1.jpg

Serious? The pictures are cool, but a lot of people do not like the vignetting that is associated with those pictures.

Chris,

Hi. What house do you have for the G9 ? And what wet lens do you have?

The problem I have with any polycarbonate housing is that over time, pressure and temperature changes seem to warp the plastic just enough to cause the buttons to get sticky.

I currently use a G10, and purchased the Fisheye aluminum housing for it ... which is a great housing, but expensive. It does not accommodate wet lenses, but does have a wide-angle port that mounts (bayonet style) on the housing.

Here's an example wide-angle shot using that lens ...

IMG_1253.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Most of those lenses are not intended to be zoomed more than just that which is needed to reduce vignetting. Zooming them into a telephoto range will cause severe distortion as seen above in the corners and edges. Installing rhe dome converter helps to control the distortion but still it is best not to zoom them more than a small amount. Since they can be removed underwater, it would be best to do so rather than trying to zoom them into the telephoto range. A least that is how mine seem to behave. With the dome converter that distortion when zoomed seems reduced. At full wide angle where they were meant to operate the distortion is negligible or gone.

N

Back
Top Bottom