Canon G10 housing dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those of us on limited budgets; has anyone used the Canon housing yet? Thoughts? I've used Canon's housing for my old S400 for a couple years now and been very pleased with it; not a single problem and fits perfectly.

Specifically, do the controls all fit nicely and work well? And is there any vignetting at full wide angle?

Thanks in advance!

I own it, but don't have it wet yet. No vignetting. Controls seem basically the same as my A620+Canon housing.

Yes- the Seatool (actually now labeled Fix G10) is $995, but it's a machined aluminum housing, rather than lucite like the Ike housing.

Yes- the Seatool (actually now labeled Fix G10) is $995, but it's a machined aluminum housing, rather than lucite like the Ike housing.

For an extra 400, is it worth it for aluminum over lucite? For that matter, is it worth an extra 800 over the canon case?

If I was a pro, then i would go for it. I rather spend the extra 800 on a new camera and case in 2 - 4 years.

Im trying to decide which housing to get for my G10.

The Canon '28 seems really well priced but its lacking the control of the manual dial on the back ( I think).

While The Ikeilite has full control of the camera, has a greater depth rating but is a little bulkier and 3 times the price.

Are there any more options in the affordable range?

Is there anyway to still have manual control of aperture etc using the canon housing or will I be for ever disappointed with the far cheaper housing?

The Ikelite is more expensive but it's also more advanced. Auto-TTL is the coolest feature of all time!

I used Canon housings previously and they're OK as long as you realize the limitations. You can use strobes with the Canon housing but it will be more cumbersome.

One more note, Ikelite is exploring the possibility of producing a Wide-Angle lens. I believe they will be posting to the Ikelite forum when they get more information.

For an extra 400, is it worth it for aluminum over lucite? For that matter, is it worth an extra 800 over the canon case?

If I was a pro, then i would go for it. I rather spend the extra 800 on a new camera and case in 2 - 4 years.

Very true- it's a lot of money and those are valid points. The Fix does allow for the use of a close up lens and a wide angle port. As of today, that's unique among the housings for the G10. I'm hoping that when/if I upgrade to an SLR housing, I'll recoup some of the added cost with a higher resale value. In the meantime, I've got one badass housing to enjoy.

What a dilemma! It it wasn't for my yearly trip to the Blue Hole, I would go with the WP-28, which is 1/3 the price (or less), more compact, and almost as versatile (thanks for the 2-button f-stop trick). However, when it's just the DM and I, we sometimes go to 150-160 feet, which would require the Ikelite. Tough call, especially when there are occasionally used WP-28s out there for $125 or so.

Have you (or anyone else on the forum) pushed the depth limit of the WP-DC28? I realize that anecdotal information is not scientific research, but I would be interested in knowing the tolerance for depth of the Canon housing. I took the WP-DC24 to about 138 feet without a problem. Last trip to the Blue Hole the DM strongly suggested I leave the camera behind. He showed me stuff at 160 feet.

Back
Top Bottom