Canon G11 case cracked?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:) :) If you take yours diving before next Saturday please let me know how it works out. I'll test it next Saturday and post update here when I get a chance.

Had it up at the quarry yesterday. Tested it shallow (& empty) first - was fine. Took it down to 82 ft - no problems. I am going to get a weight for case though - it's a little bouyant which was distracting.

NOT AN ISSUE. on my g7 I had the same issue, sent it back to canon to get it tested. The cracks are not cracks but tiny scratches from the manufacturing process. The scratches looks like cracks from the mirror effect of the Lucite.

As I wrote earlier, "not scratches", only "knit lines", which are part of the molding process.

Had it up at the quarry yesterday. Tested it shallow (& empty) first - was fine. Took it down to 82 ft - no problems. I am going to get a weight for case though - it's a little bouyant which was distracting.

That's good to hear. I worry too much!!!

The marks are known as "knit lines" in the plastic molding industry. You will find them at every hole in the molded housing and they will all be aligned in the same genral direction.

What happens is as the molten plastic (polycarbonate in this case) flows from the one injection point in the plastic mold, it passes around the holes and forms the "knit line" at the down stream side of the hole.

This is not a defect, and no I don't work for Canon.

Take the housing on a dry run (no camera inside) dive to 40 meters with some dry tissue paper inside, to see if there are any leaks before using it with a camera.

Thank you tunakat for your expert advise. It's nice to have the insight from someone knows the manufacture process.

i just got my case and nice to know the lines is not an issue - will try it out tomorrow :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom