Canon G11 Settings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stortecky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just recieved my G11 with a canon Housing and sea& sea 110A strobe. I have been playing around with it but not underwater.

I was wondering if everyone could share some of the settings they use to get good pictures underwater. My last camera it took me awhile to get every to work and get good pictures underwater but by that time most of my dive trip was over. I would like to shorten the learning curve this time.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Ryan

I have a G11 but I'm going to get the Ikelite housing. I got to play with the Canon housing at a Dive show and it just didn't give me a warm fuzzy.

I did read a post about them leaking if you don't file down the mold lines so I hope you are going to go down empty first.

Would recommend using Av mode. For macro shoot iso 80 with f8.0. For general use iso 80 as light allows with f3.5. Adjust iso and f-stop for light as needed. Shoot in RAW to allow correction as needed. Hope this helps. See new online underwater photography guide for more info.

I am waiting on my G11 to arrive. I tried to buy from SkyPointDigital.com but learned they were scammers I ended up getting one from BestBuy because I had a gift certificate from Christmas.

Anyway

I will be checking the forum for feedback on housings. I am leaning toward Ikelite too.

Mark

I have a G11 but I'm going to get the Ikelite housing. I got to play with the Canon housing at a Dive show and it just didn't give me a warm fuzzy.

I did read a post about them leaking if you don't file down the mold lines so I hope you are going to go down empty first.

I agree the the Ikelite are better housing but I could not justify the cost difference or over over 3 times the amount.

The Canon housing works really well. I have been very happy with it for the price. I have just had it in my local YMCA pool we will see how it works in Cozumel in a month.

I have a G10 w/ YS110a i shoot full manual and the settings I use should carry over to the G11 fine or at least give you a starting point. I have 3 setting modes I move between and then tweak shutter, aperture, and iso. I use C2 for close-up macro subjects; C1 for some macro, mid-range and reef shots w/ strobe; and M for available light shots in shallows, reefscapes, and whalesharks.

To set, first set C2, then C1 and M:

C2 settings
go into M mode
flash, macro on
set 1/250, f7.1, center weighted avg
Focus frame small

Func Set
White Balance: Custom2
BKT-Off
Flash Output: Minimum (1/3)
ND Off
RAW

Menu:
AF Frame: FlexiZone
AF-Point Zoom: On
Servo AF: Off
AF Mode: Continous
Digital Zoom: Off
Flash Control: Minimum, First Curtain, Red-Eye Off
Spot AE Point: Center
MF-Point Zoom: On
Safety MF: On
AF-assist Bean: On
Review: 2 sec
Review Info: Off
Record RAW+jpg: Off
AutoCategory: On
IS Mode: Shoot Only
Converter: None
Custom Display: check Shooting Info, Grid Lines, Histogram
Shortcut button: Custom White Balance 2
Save Settings: C2

C1 settings
set 1/400, f4.5, center weighted avg
flash, macro on
Focus frame regular

Func Set settings same as C2

Menu:
same as C2 except
AF-Point Zoom: Off
Save Settings: C1

M settings
set 1/100, f3.5, center weighted avg
flash, macro off
Focus frame regular

Func Set settings same as C2 & C1 except
White Balance: Custom1

Menu:
same as C1 except
Shortcut button: Custom White Balance 1

Usage
I set the white balance as depth and light changes, also when changing ISO.. so I'm constantly setting white balance.

In C2 strobe power is usually set between 11 to 3 o'clock position as indicated on power dial. Turn on focus light. Position strobe closer to lens and try to kiss the subject with flash. Shutter speed ranges from 1/125-1/320, aperture f6.3-f8, ISO 80-200. Get close and maybe zoom in.

C1 strobe power is from 3 o'clock to full, usually at 6 o'clock to full. Position strobe away from lens. 1/80-1/500, f3.2-f5.6, ISO is usually 80-100, will use 200 at depth.

M is available light by default, turn flash on to strobe.. turn macro on for subjects. 1/60-1/320, f2.8-f5, ISO 80-400, 400 is mediocre for me should be better with G11.

The M settings aren't saved, most recent used are, except for macro mode not sticking. C1 and C2 settings will revert back unless saved.

Get some Eneloop or equivalent batteries for strobe. I'd consider a Fantasea Big Eye lens too, extends the angle and matches well with strobe.

Have fun!

elanarchist,

Thanks a ton for all that info!

What type of housing do you have? I don't think Ikelite housings can use a Fantasea Big Eye.

Do you have any example shots?

I'm looking at getting a G11 soon so I appreciate the detail. The ISO speed improvement looks very good.

Yeah I have the Canon housing, ~150 dives on it (knock on wood). It works ok if well maintained. While I like Ikelite's compact housings I don't like the bulky boxy G10/11 housings. If I were buying new right now I would go for a S90 w/ Ikelite or Fix instead of G11 with Canon or Ikelite. If I had a G11 I'd get by with the Canon case or spend more to get the Fix or similar.

The Big Eye works with the Canon housings for the G10/G11. It's got limitations but if you already have the housing it's a nice add-on for the money. I also recently got the 67mm Fantasea macro lens with adaptor, so now I can swap wet mount lens for macro / wide angle.

Also, I like the strobe because it's built to last. Last week I rushed for a dive and pinched the o-ring on the battery cap. A few minutes into dive I saw the battery leaking, and was surprised the strobe still worked - it actually worked fine for the rest of the hour long dive, with the batteries submerged in sea water. I cleaned it out on the surface interval and it worked fine the next dive too. Later I gave it a thorough cleaning and it's still working fine - only one of the batteries didn't make it.

I have a backlog of recent pics to upload, in the meantime a bunch of 2009 pics are at Flickr: elanarchist's Photostream and http://www.photobucket.com/sogod2009.

Hi, I'm Mike. Thank you SO much for all the info you've provided!!!! I'm a couple weeks away from getting what I feel is the best camera for my needs and you have been an enormous help with your advice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom