Canon G11 versus S90 battery life?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice photos. So how many shots did you do during your dives? I typically average about 100 to 120 per dive on my last few trips out, which is why I'm a little concerned that I may be hitting the limit on a longer day without doing a battery swap. I like to do a lot of macro work and will often half a dozen or more shots of the same subject with varied exposures and angles to try to get the best shot I can which can add up to a lot of shooting when on dives with a lot of subject matter to work with.

I shoot almost as many shots as you do (many with the onboard flash, no slave strobes) with a G10. In Bonaire, doing 4 dives a day, I ran out of juice early into dive 4 the first time. So I started swapping out batteries and cards at lunch time every day.

So just a data point, but for you the G11 may not have any benefit for your shooting style. And do you really want to "hope" that your battery will make it through that last dive?

Tell that guy to get his yeller Mares Avanti X3 fins off the reef--lol.

N

If you are considering aftermarket batteries for your digital camera, I would consider the Wasabi Power batteries sold by Blue Nook.

I checked, and they do carry the NB-6L replacement equivalent (Blue Nook - Canon NB-6L Replacement Battery (1300 mAh - Japanese Cells)).

Personally, I have had execellent results with the Wasabi Power battery replacement for my G9.

FYI

I shoot almost as many shots as you do (many with the onboard flash, no slave strobes) with a G10. In Bonaire, doing 4 dives a day, I ran out of juice early into dive 4 the first time. So I started swapping out batteries and cards at lunch time every day.

So just a data point, but for you the G11 may not have any benefit for your shooting style. And do you really want to "hope" that your battery will make it through that last dive?

I do the same typically as well, and do swap as often as I can comfortably. When in Australia on a liveaboard I would change out every couple dives since I could go back to my cabin, swap with a fresh battery out of the charger, drop the spent one in to charge up, swap memory cards, seal up the housing and head back out. I just don't want to be changing batteries between dives on a 2 tank outing on a small boat if I can help it. And while I'm pretty sure either one would last for most of my 2 tank dives I'd like to have a little extra room to spare if possible.

So based on this and other information I finally made my decision and ordered a G11. The S90 had the edge until I looked at the macro performance without needing to add on additional lenses (i.e. expense I can't really afford right now). I looked at places like Flickr and what people have done with the G9/G10/G11 mainly in macro work and I was sold. Some of the photos taken with the G11 even without additional macro lenses are pretty nice. I'm sure there will be more S90 photos in the future but right now they are a bit sparse so there just wasn't as much to compare with right now. I'm also hoping that I can use the G11 and not carry my Nikon DSLR on other trips now for land photography as well. I have large hands so for me a larger camera is easier to hold steady, even if more of a hassle to carry around. So it's a G11 and the Canon WP-DC34 housing for now unless in the future I find I need a higher end housing. Since wide angle really isn't my main focus, I couldn't see buying any of the more expensive housings just to be able add a wide angle lens, since by the time it all added up it would have tripled the cost of the upgrade (or more). I can always buy a different housing in the future if I really decide I need one. And with an adapter I can add an additional wet macro lens if I find I need it.

I've just upgraded to the S90 also and did 2 60+ minute dives, took more than 200 photos and battery life was not an issue. I'm very happy with the quality of the images and I'm sure you will be too!

Happy bubbles

J

If I purchase a Zeikos ZE-NB6L - can I charge it with the original Canon battery charger CB-2LY?

Yes - it will take a bit longer to charge as the Zeikos battery has more total capacity....

Hope this helps......M

If I purchase a Zeikos ZE-NB6L - can I charge it with the original Canon battery charger CB-2LY?

Have both the batteries shown in this thread, and yes they charge just fine....I like the Japanese cell one a bit better though.

I do the same typically as well, and do swap as often as I can comfortably. When in Australia on a liveaboard I would change out every couple dives since I could go back to my cabin, swap with a fresh battery out of the charger, drop the spent one in to charge up, swap memory cards, seal up the housing and head back out. I just don't want to be changing batteries between dives on a 2 tank outing on a small boat if I can help it. And while I'm pretty sure either one would last for most of my 2 tank dives I'd like to have a little extra room to spare if possible.

So based on this and other information I finally made my decision and ordered a G11. The S90 had the edge until I looked at the macro performance without needing to add on additional lenses (i.e. expense I can't really afford right now). I looked at places like Flickr and what people have done with the G9/G10/G11 mainly in macro work and I was sold. Some of the photos taken with the G11 even without additional macro lenses are pretty nice. I'm sure there will be more S90 photos in the future but right now they are a bit sparse so there just wasn't as much to compare with right now. I'm also hoping that I can use the G11 and not carry my Nikon DSLR on other trips now for land photography as well. I have large hands so for me a larger camera is easier to hold steady, even if more of a hassle to carry around. So it's a G11 and the Canon WP-DC34 housing for now unless in the future I find I need a higher end housing. Since wide angle really isn't my main focus, I couldn't see buying any of the more expensive housings just to be able add a wide angle lens, since by the time it all added up it would have tripled the cost of the upgrade (or more). I can always buy a different housing in the future if I really decide I need one. And with an adapter I can add an additional wet macro lens if I find I need it.

Just for the record, I own a G10 and the S90....here is a macro image taken with the S90.. without any other lens... this guy is about 1/2 inch long:

nudi08.JPG

In use, I find very little difference between the two.

I have also had some great results using the S90's own built in Macro settings. With my previous camera, I used the Sea & sea macro wet lens and found it was very difficult to get a shot in focus and in the end I stuck to the cameras built in macro as the results were just as good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom