Canon G12 - Lighting and Strobe? Feedback please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frankrom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Guys,

In October I am off to Cozumel (very excited)... I have purchased a Canon G12 with a Canon housing, I am very impressed with this camera.

However, I am wondering two things...

1) Should the camera be in a specific mode? There is an underwater mode on the camera and I think it would be logical to use the 'underwater mode when underwater. However, I want to make sure... As I do not know much about underwater photography or video. I here there is something to do with the lighting or white balancing? I tried researching it on google but when I google it it just continues to come up with Canon G12 reviews.
2) Do I need a strobe for the best pictures? Will I get good photos and video without a strobe? Strobes aren't cheap!

Feedback would be greatly appreicated!

Thanks guys!

I find that odd... why would canon make a housing that you are guaranteed to get blackspots on your pictures?

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this confirmed? a way around it? or 100% need a strobe or else I will get ****ty pictures? I've seen underwater photos on youtube and even videos and they said they were using the canon housing and I didn't see any black spots. Also when I saw the camera it didn't show they were using a strobe. :idk:

I have the g10 and what you need is the big eye lens to restore the field of view. You can get away with ambient light with that lens and a very steady hand.you also can get a macro lens with convertor but then a strobe is necessary.

You will only notice it when taking pics close to your subject (macro).
There are hundreds of posts that mention this if you look through the Canon forum. The port needs to be long on that housing because of the rack of the lens.

Attachments

• P9140715.jpg
    P9140715.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
you can just turn the flash off, I plan on getting a strobe eventually, but for now, I get pictures that turn out just fine with the flash off and ambient light.

You can use the white-balance function for shallow depths. Set 1 for 5 metres and the other for 10 metres. That should be ok. Once you go below 10m try and use the flash to bring colour back into the frame.

Recently I've been setting the camera to manual, with an ISO200 and then varying the shutter speed between 1/500 & 1/650, f5.6. I find this gives good results for macro, slightly dark in the back ground illuminating the subject. If you want a really black background turn in the neutral density filter.

IMPORTANT: The canon housings are notorious for flooding. I've had moisture get in quite a lot. To avoid this I now remove the O-ring (prior to any trip) clean the groove. The I put a little silicon grease in a ziplock bag, then put in the O-ring. Gently massage the O-ring, coating it with a fine film of grease, then carefully put it back in place. A quick inspect for even the tiniest hair, then camera in and away. Since I've started this routine I have no problems with the housing. Tons before, but nothing fatal.

Here are some settings to get you started with your G12...
Manual mode, F5.6, 1/500th, ISO 100
Zoom in half-way
Macro mode, auto white balance
These cameras also have a great focus check feature

You can read the entire G12 Underwater Settings article here.

Also, since you don't have a strobe *yet* :wink:, check out this great piece on shooting with ambient light.

Have a great trip to Cozumel!

Zig

This really depends on what you consider "good" images. As red light is absorbed quickly in the water column the only way to bring it back is to use external light sources. Strobes offer bright white light and can control shadows and back scatter with the angle of the strobes. A built in flash is great at illuminating ever particle in the water between you and your subject (unless you are shooting in perfectly clear water).
Long distance wide angle, like wrecks, are ok with out light. Shallow shots with good light penetration can be really good too. Out side of that, in my opinion, i have seen some good shots without strobe light but no great shots, period.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom