Canon G12..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I work as a full time photographer (on land) I was looking into the G12 as a handy little camera to have as a back up to my SLR and to also have for scuba. I have been talked out of the G series by two camera shops now as there are more wide lenses available for the S series housings than the G series. As we are soon to be heading out to the Maldives I am very eager to make my purchase. Is it really critical to get this wide option I wonder? Having spoken to experienced divers it's the magnification factor underwater could be the main reason I now have to consider the S95. Anyone out there with any input on this would be appreciated as to begin with I really had my heart set on the G series. Also I am finding it really hard to see any S90 OR G11 dive shot examples around online.

Cheers for now.

Both cameras are excellent. Choice of housing is important though, because it can limit your options. If you want to shoot wider angle photos, yes, being able to put a wide angle lens on the housing is important. If you want to shoot macro, you don't need it at all, but you may want to add a macro lens.

Regarding the effect water on the lens, it changes the minimum focal length from about 28mm (in 35mm equivalent terms) to about 38mm equivalent, or the corresponding field of view from about 75 degrees to 54 degrees with a flat port. This effect can be reversed with various wide angle adapter add on lenses (which are fully discussed on this board in other posts, with photos, so search for them). But roughly that is the effect.

It sounds like this is your first underwater camera, so you perhaps don't know what you're going to prefer shooting. On land, what do you prefer? Landscapes? Close-ups? Think about that, it might help decide. I can tell that you prefer the G11, probably because it seems more like the pro cameras you are used to. That's a good reason to pick it, all things equal.

The S90 is much better for adding wide angle lenses to, simply because of its lens, and the smaller port on the housing needed. That makes it easier to add a wide lens that won't vignette at the wide setting. The G11 will focus slightly closer than the S90, so it's perhaps better for macro.

If you are not sure, I'd suggest the S90 as it preserves more options. However, the choice of housing will also limit you. The Canon housing does not allow you to spin the rear command dial, which is very useful when doing manual exposure. (There is a workaround, so it's not fatal, just less convenient). You'd have to get the much more expensive Fisheye FIX housing to have that capability. It's a great housing, but not one I would recommend as a first buy.

But if you still like the feel of the G11, try it. There are wide angle adapters for it, just fewer. For instance, on the canon DC34, you can add a Fantasea Bigeye lens, which is effectively a .7 wide converter. That restores the original 28mm wide angle capability of the lens for least cost (about $220). With the Ikelite housing, you can add the WD-4 adapter, which does the same thing but is bigger because the Ikelite port is bigger (about $250). You can easily add TTL strobes to the Ikelite housing, and I suspect you will want to do that.

Last edited:
As I work as a full time photographer (on land) I was looking into the G12 as a handy little camera to have as a back up to my SLR and to also have for scuba. I have been talked out of the G series by two camera shops now as there are more wide lenses available for the S series housings than the G series. As we are soon to be heading out to the Maldives I am very eager to make my purchase. Is it really critical to get this wide option I wonder? Having spoken to experienced divers it's the magnification factor underwater could be the main reason I now have to consider the S95. Anyone out there with any input on this would be appreciated as to begin with I really had my heart set on the G series. Also I am finding it really hard to see any S90 OR G11 dive shot examples around online.

Cheers for now.

Hi happysnapper,
Like you, I am a pro photographer and have at my disposal a large array of medium format and dSLR cameras and lenses. 18 months ago I started looking for a P&S compact to carry with me for location scouting and set assesment tasks. I settled on the Canon G10 (G11 predecessor)and never looked back. The ease of use and familar user interface of dials and buttons was excactly what i was looking for and to date I have actually used the camera twice as my primary camera on the job because of weight and bulk issues and have found the picture quality to be outstanding for what the camera is!
As I have also been an underwater housing manufacturer for the past twenty odd years I was also looking for a camera that would adapt itself to underwater use! I was planning on building my own housing but after doing the design and the maths I settled for the Patima alloy housing from Korea and am so glad I did. This is quite possibly the best built housing dollar for dollar I have ever seen!
The question regarding the W/Angle lenses is an issue of great debate on these forums and I think the best advice I can give is to read as many of the posts regarding this matter as you can and make an informed choice to as to what suits your style best. Personally I don't like fisheye wide angle and so I chose the 105 degree FOV WA lens from Reef Photo and Video that is made specifically for the Patima housing and as this gives razor sharp pictures corner to corner I have been very happy with the results so far!
As you don't give an indication of you budget I won't advise you to buy this housing or any other as each has its own pros and cons in regards to the types of W/Angle lenses that can be attached and how wide they can go!

Hope this helps!

Peter

As for finding examples of these cameras, have a look back through the last few months on this forum and you will see plenty of both!

Peter

Cheers for now.

The G Series has a hot shoe. For underwater, that may not be such a big deal, but on land it makes for some better lighting if you already have a speedlite in your possession. Don't bracket yourself into thinking you will only use the G-12 underwater. The G series camera, small tripod and speedlite will fit in a glove box. That is real convenience.

If you are gonna drop money on a lens, it might as well be for a full-frame camera. Just my opinion.

I just noticed that the Beach Camera web site is showing the G12 as in stock. They also want to charge me extra to ship to an APO in Japan.

Just ordered the G12 for my Maldives trip and I will keep you posted on results.

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom