Canon G15 ... any good for UW use ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tafflad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
See some pretty good deals on Canon G15 with the Canon Housing ....... and even more intersecting is the new Fantasea FG15 housing ... allows access to all of the camera's controls.

What is the opinion on the G15 for diving ?

I'm a Canon fanboy, so take this with a grain of salt:

I currently shoot a G11. From the few UW shots I've seen, and from the specs, I would guess the G15 would be an excellent UW compact, especially for macro and close-in photography. It looks like it can do true 1:1 macro shots out of the box, meaning that for macro, only the new Panasonic DMC-LX7 can compete unless you start buying wet lenses.

Both the LX7 and the Sony RX-100 seem to offer better video options and specs, but I've read about WB and focus issues for these cameras. The G15 (from what I read) seems to do better in these areas (or at least equal), but you will be limited to 24fps at 1080p. If you're just posting video to the web, then it probably won't matter, as last I checked (admittedly a while ago) both youtube and vimeo downsample to 24fps anyway. If you want 60fps, the G15 isn't your camera.

Wide-angle is the mystery. Inon has released an adjustable wide-angle wet lens UWL-S100 ZM80 that reports to compensate for the longer zoom that is standard on the G-series cameras. I've only seen a handful of photos taken with the lens, and I've contacted Reef Photo and Backscatter to get more samples, but it's new on the market, and it will apparently take a few more weeks for folks to start sharing their photos. If the lens works the way it's supposed to, then that will make the G15 the camera to have (for me at least).

The LX7 and the RX-100 are easier to get wide-angle wet lenses for, and I've seen some really good wide photos from the cameras. The Sony has serious issues with close-in and macro photography, that make it a deal-killer for me, but it has a huge sensor, and a ton of video options not present on the Canon. The LX7 will focus about as close as the Canon, will take standard wide-angle wet lenses, and has more video options than the Canon. It would be my second-choice, and may end up my first if the Canon won't perform with the new Inon wide lens.

I've used two models of the Canon factory housings. I was happy with both, and it looks like they've improved a bit in the current generation, but they're useless below 130ft, where the pressure ends up depressing a button or two, effectively disabling the camera functions. That's a deal killer for me, as I'm spending more time at or below 130ft with a camera, and it's pointless to take a camera that won't work. I'm currently salivating over the Nauticam housings. I've used their housings before, and they're impressive.

Also, have you looked at the Olympus 4/3 cameras? You can have one for very cheap if you go with the factory housings. They may be worth consideration if you're in the market for a new system.

See some pretty good deals on Canon G15 with the Canon Housing ....... and even more intersecting is the new Fantasea FG15 housing ... allows access to all of the camera's controls.

What is the opinion on the G15 for diving ?

Hi to All, You may find this release relevant to your question, you can see the amazing results of this great camera both in video and stills. Click Here http://www.fantasea.com/FG15PR/PR_FG15.html

and this is an additional chart of the differences between the Canon WPDC48
and the Fantasea FG15 http://www.fantasea.com/FG15PR/FG15Compare.html

This is the video clip shot totally using the G15 camera in the FG15 housing http://www.fantasea.com/FG15PR/Gallery_MSRP.html

Howard
Fantasea Line

is the fantasea housing able to accept other wet lenses (i.e. inon, subsea)?

edit: the video they posted looks nice, tho...i have to try and shoot video with mine.

is the fantasea housing able to accept other wet lenses (i.e. inon, subsea)?

edit: the video they posted looks nice, tho...i have to try and shoot video with mine.

Hi Chile7236,
Fantasea is proud of their patented BigEye Lenses and other wet optic accessories purpose designed for our housings.
The FG15 uses the same BigEye and other accessory lenses that the FP7000 and FP7100 (Coolpix housings) uses.

That video was shot totally using the FG15 and G15 and using the BigEye lens as well as the SharpEye macro lens and RedEye filter insert.

With respect to Inon and Subsea, neither of them make any lenses that can accommodate the G15 unless you use a standard lens and then zoom it in order to avoid a very bad vignette. If you do that, you totally lose the wide angle affect you want!!

We also allow for red and pink color correction filters to be inserted into the BigEye lenses thereby allowing for much better quality either in film or video using natural light!!

I hope that answers your questions

Howard
Fantasea Line

Cool camera, love the fact that you can manually set your white balance on video.

I have one in the canon housing, the one click white balance is really nice.

Hi Chile7236,
Fantasea is proud of their patented BigEye Lenses and other wet optic accessories purpose designed for our housings.
The FG15 uses the same BigEye and other accessory lenses that the FP7000 and FP7100 (Coolpix housings) uses.

That video was shot totally using the FG15 and G15 and using the BigEye lens as well as the SharpEye macro lens and RedEye filter insert.

With respect to Inon and Subsea, neither of them make any lenses that can accommodate the G15 unless you use a standard lens and then zoom it in order to avoid a very bad vignette. If you do that, you totally lose the wide angle affect you want!!

We also allow for red and pink color correction filters to be inserted into the BigEye lenses thereby allowing for much better quality either in film or video using natural light!!

I hope that answers your questions

Howard
Fantasea Line

Thank you for the reply.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom