Canon G15 - everything you need to know is here :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like setting the balance to cloudy instead of underwater.

Sure, Cloudy is fine too. It'll make the shots a bit warmer. Either way, tweak it in Lightroom. Experiment and don't be afraid to set it to something that isn't "100% accurate." You have creative license here.

-Charles

I'm using a G9 with the Canon housing. Can someone give me a quick summary of what the G15 adds in comparison to the older G9? thanks.

any pointers for taking g15 videos? setting white balance, raw mode, red lenses etc....

thanks
My biggest lesson to tell you is remember the shutter button does start the video like most other cameras. There is a dedicated movie button. I have missed many movie from this mistake.

I'm updating the Everything Photo Sticky and need your input on this camera please :)

Please pop in your thoughts on the systems, tips & tricks, what housing/strobes/add-ons etc you have and add photos to this thread. Links to your galleries etc are great, too, but please pop in a few stills & video so those who are looking for a new underwater system can find lots of goodies about this option all in this one thread. Once we get it happening, I'll add it to the Sticky!

I just bought a G16 so some of what is here may be useful for me.
The extra speed on low light focussing and 60fps HD video made the decision for me.

---------- Post added December 31st, 2013 at 05:48 PM ----------

hi, Sorry but I am using the canon wp-dc48 housing. with the Inon 2000z strobe and inon tray and arms. i don't know if there are any wet lenses for this housing which I can incorporate into my setup.

Fantasea make their BigEye to suit Canon Housing

I'm using a Canon G15 in the Ikelite housing with wired strobes, a DS160 and a DS161

I find that I setup the two custom modes on the dial as RAW with Custom white balance, one Av the other P.
The quick access button on the top left is set to allow me fast access to white balance changing.
I flip between the two custom white balances using one for close distances (where the strobes cover) and one for farther out (where the strobe won't hit) and I tend to re-do the balance every 5-10 feet of depth change.

Mostly I end up shooting Program mode (P) for most of my shots and they come out really well (I posted some on another thread) when I want a little more control over DOF or want to black out the background I use the Av mode.

-R

I'm no expert on this so correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that in RAW mode the white balance settings on the camera do nothing to the photo.

I'm no expert on this so correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that in RAW mode the white balance settings on the camera do nothing to the photo.

The white balance will do nothing for the RAW image, but it will for the .jpg and the video. I shoot in RAW, but usually keep my white balance set in case I want to jump to video real quick. If a guy was just shooting stills, it would be a waste of time to keep adjusting the white balance if he was shooting in RAW anyway.

Great thread !!!

I've owned G15 (Canon UW Housing) since last December and have nothing but good things to say about the camera. It is very easy to use (much easier than Sony RX100) and it produces great pictures. I also think that it is much better at macro photography than RX100.

I made a similar post in Sony forum since I own both of the cameras.

I thought that perhaps a link to my photo set from the trip which includes images from both of the cameras could be useful for some new users who are looking for comparisons. Image names starting with DSC are from the rX100 and starting with IMG are from the G15.

P.S I am a noob at photography both UW and topside.

Sharm-El-Sheikh - a set on Flickr

Pics look fine to me .... did you only take 2 on the Thistlegorm ? I find the train just off on the sand is a very emotive subject .. although at 40m not much colour.

---------- Post added January 1st, 2014 at 01:26 PM ----------

You are right on the specific that WB has no impact on the RAW data file.
So what you get for Post Processing is not affected by setting WB.

However there are a still a few very good reasons for setting it.

# Having WB set allows you to switch to video and be ready to roll
# If you use RAW+jpeg then you need to have WB (even if from UW mode)
# The LCD screen uses JPEG for its display incl. Histograms - so need to set if if you want to view your results.
# You need to have it set for video (unless you have full WB correction in your video editor)

Good explanation on WB on Canon cameras by Steve Dunn Is White Balance in Camera Important while shooting Raw? - Photo.net Digital Darkroom Forum

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom