Canon Housing Leaks - Easy DIY Fix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reefwalker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have had quite a few people bring Canon Compact Housings to me for help over the last couple of years, as they have had small leaks for no apparent reason. These housings have mostly been the G7, G9, G10, A610, A620, A630, A640, A710, A720.
What I have found on close inspection is that there are 3 or 4 mould release lines (no. of lines depending on the model) in the main 'o' ring groove on the door. These 'lines' run across the groove and very obviously would stop the 'o' ring seating in the groove correctly.
It seems that most people have leaks in the shallows with their Canon housings. Either on descending or after a deeper dive with no problem, a leak is evident as they ascend into the last 10 meters. This is typical of an 'o' ring that has not seated correctly, so that's why I started looking closer.
I had one desperate photographer who wanted me to try anything to have their housing fixed. So I promised to find the leak source. It was a Canon G9 housing, I could see the water entering the housing as a very small drip that ran down the 'O' Ring until it pooled at the bottom. I decided to sand the Mould Release line, as this was exactly where the drip eminated from. I used a piece of very fine wet&dry (600 grit), I wrapped a small piece around a small aluminium ruler (about 2mm thick), then gently sanded the mould release line, until it was level with the bottom of the groove. I actually did the sanding a step at a time and inspected the progress with a magnifying glass (Actually I used a ReefNet SubSee Magnifier, as it was stronger than a magnifying glass) and progressed until the mould release line was finally non-existent and the 'O' Ring groove had a flat bottom, rather than a step at the Mould Release line. It was quite easy to see the problem with a magnifying glass before sanding, and that it was smooth after the sanding. I also sanded the other 3 mould release lines in this particular housing, as they also were raised more than they should be.
I was so confident that I had fixed the problem, I took the housing with its camera on a dive immediately after fixing it, and it was dry as a bone.... which it hadn't been for quite a few prior dives. It has since proved to be perfectly sealed and hasn’t leaked since.
Check-out your own housing if it has these mould release lines, I'd get it fixed pretty soon.
FOOTNOTE: I have now fixed more Canon Housings and all have been successful. I have also just fixed a G11 housing that leaked on its first dive, it had exactly the same problem. It also explains to me why some housings leak and some don't. This mould release line is more evident in some housings than others.
BTW, I also manufacture an electronic Leak Detector for the Canon G7, G9, G10 & now G11 housings - see the web link below :)

Thanks for the info, since the G11 with Canon housing is on my list of possibles in the near future. Have you forwarded this info about the mould release lines to Canon?

On a night dive on a recent Cayman trip I noticed a bit of water inside my G9 housing (from Canon). I checked everything out, thinking it was related to one of the buttons but your information gives me new hope about finding a solution. I'll inspect it today! It may be a moot point, I ordered my Ikelite DSLR housing this week! Maybe your warning system will give me a bit more peace of mind.

GREAT INFO!!! Thanks!!!

Jeff..

The fix for those of us who don't want to try and repair the housings ourselves and can't send them to you for repair is to use your "leak absorbing mini pad" :rofl3: :rofl3:

PS... you really should send the info to whoever makes the oem housings for canon!

Here's a couple of pics of the "Mould Release Line" - First Pic shows one end of the door, with Two Lines marked with arrows, The other end also has two in the same positions. I have found that the one shown here on the Left is the one that causes most leaks, but its easy to fix all 4 while you have the sand paper out !

Mould Release Lines Photo

Second Pic shows a close-up of the Left Hand "Mould Release Line". When it is sanded this line is no longer visible, and you can't feel it when a toothpick is run along the groove. I have now heard from around 15 people that I did this modification too their housings, and all have done plenty of dives with absolutely NO LEAKS.
P.S. Please don't ask me if I can fix your housing "Mould Release Lines", it is so very easy to do yourself.

Mould Release Lines Close-Up Photo

Sketch of How to Fix

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I don't have problems with mine leaking but I do have a button that sticks... not fun when trying to switch between macro and normal shots here in Lembeh. Good thing today was my last dive day but it was a real pain in the ass having to shake my camera everytime the macro mode got stuck trying to get it to go back into macro mode.... which most of my shots were!

Any suggestions on how to fix the spring?

Well, I don't have problems with mine leaking but I do have a button that sticks... not fun when trying to switch between macro and normal shots here in Lembeh. Good thing today was my last dive day but it was a real pain in the ass having to shake my camera everytime the macro mode got stuck trying to get it to go back into macro mode.... which most of my shots were!

Any suggestions on how to fix the spring?

If you remove the small circlip on the inside end of the control button, the control shaft and o ring can be removed and cleaned with a tissue, also the inside of the hole where the shaft was removed from, will also need wiping clean. Remove and preferably replace the o ring. Make sure all residue old silicon is completely removed from all of the surfaces. Then relubricate the shaft and o ring with silicon grease, then re-assemble. Just be sure to re-assemble in the exact sequence as pulling apart.

A simple way to stop the buttons getting stiff in the first place is lubrication with Silicon Pump. See me article at DigiDeep Underwater Photography & Video Portal for a full description.

I experienced the slight moisture problem described during my last dive trip. I have a WP-DC6 housing for my A710. Had me worried. I have completed this fix. I only found 1 release point on the side by the hinge. Will get a chance to test it in February in Mexico. Thanks........

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom