Canon PowerShots vs. Sony CyberShots ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was my next question...I have heard Canons have an "underwater" mode....I am hoping to get some feedback on that, too.
So what really is the difference between the SD & A lines? And what's "IS"?
Thanks again!!

Go to www.dpreview.com and compare the models side by side to see their differences.

Check out the Pink Link in my signature for more information on "underwater modes", auto and manual.

The most obvious are size and control...the SDs are smaller but have no manual controls. The A series cameras are slightly larger and offer fully auto, various scene modes and full manual controls.

geekydork:
Thanks! But isn't the housing for the W7 the silver marine SPORTS pack that only goes to 10' versus the clear plastic Marine Pack for the N2 (130')? At least that is what I gathered from Sony's website...
Nope. Check this out.

Cannons do have an underwater mode, but on the basic cameras it more or less just shifts hues towards red in my experience to try to put natural colors even into underwater shots, but sometimes no more realsistic than tinkering on photoshop.

If you are really serious about SMALL, I'd go with the Conon SD. I have a 550 I'm quite pleased with and it truly fits in a shirt pocket, though I don't advise it. I had an Ikelite housing for it which I flooded. It didn't damage the camera which was very impressive. I'm sure this was due to operator error. I have since switched to the Canon housing because it is much more compact.

I use a Sony DSC-P150 in the Sony marine pack, which is good to 120'. I have had it down to 95 feet or so on the HMS Rhone. Nice, small package... good optics for a small camera, too. The Sony does not have an underwater mode, but using Photoshop's "Auto Color/Auto Contrast" correction works miracles on most underwater photos I have taken. I also use a Sea&Sea YS90Auto strobe, which improves the range and quality quite a bit.

I have to agree with Mr. McBrew, I have the Sony P150 and I am very happy with the results. I just use the internal flash and get close. It fits in a pocket topside and under the BCD strap UW. Here a slideshow from my recent trip to Bonaire.

http://home.comcast.net/~cecsuej/BonaireOct2006.exe

My wife and I were going to get the N2 but when we were going to pick it up I saw the canon SD900. So we compared the features and the Canon SD900 had sooooo many more features than the N2 by far, Like Underwater photo shot setting!!!!! It also color reconization where when you take a photo, you can pick the only color you want to stay in the photo and the rest of the colors go to black and white! Plus something we really like is the 360 degree shots you can make with the camera! It was so much better for us than the N2. And we have always been a sony family till this SD900.

Hope that helps: Gene.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom