Canon SLR filters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amigos,

Filters even with a high end SLR are useful only in bright light and shallower depth. They WON'T replace strobes for bright eye popping colors in my opinion.

You need to boost your ISO even in bright tropical conditions to at LEAST ISO 400 to keep a high enough shutter speed that minimizes blurred images.

I have shot with both the Magic Filter and also WHITE BALANCING at depth off my hand, sand, or white slate.

Many times I LIKE the effect versus strobe lit shots (or when shooting too far away where even the most gigantic strobes won't add any color.)

The biggest tip is to re-calibrate your white balance if you change depths of maybe 10' or more deeper or shallower.

Here's some samples.

dhaas

David Haas Underwater Photography

Attachments

• IMG_9419.jpg
    IMG_9419.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_9429.jpg
    IMG_9429.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4326.jpg
    IMG_4326.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9315.jpg
    IMG_9315.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_9357.jpg
    IMG_9357.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9409.jpg
    IMG_9409.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4330.jpg
    IMG_4330.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4600.jpg
    IMG_4600.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4983.jpg
    IMG_4983.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 37
Rich,
I had not considered that. :) I do know how to set a manual WB though. I have a slate for that as a matter of fact.

It is an awesome camera and I'm diving it in Cozumel in Aug. :) Had to practically mortgage the dog to afford it.... but it will be worth it. I have a 17-40 f/4 lens for it as well. I plan to insure the rig and pray like hell nothing floods. :)

Back
Top Bottom