Canon WP-V1 Housing!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I received my WP-V1 housing and got the instructions for setting the underwater mode.

The instructions are a Japanese cluster ******.

HF200
remove SD card
set to "video" mode
turn on camera
make sure you are in menu/settings mode
move joystick to the right so you are under the "photo" icon
press photo snap, photo, and the start/stop button on the back of the camera body (not on the screen) all at once.
A new screen will pop-up
click yes and then "set"
the camera will turn off
reset the date and time
you only need do this once.

It is "video snap" not photo snap. Nobody else had a problem deducing that as nobody else has had a problem "translating" it. If you have a problem "translating" my English, then I suggest you contact Canon support as I did. I was only trying to help.
Aside from my one error, everything else is correct.

Hi there,

I just got my WP-V1. With the housing, an additional sheet is enclosed to activate the Underwater mode. Here are the instructions (camcorder must be powered on during the full procedure):

1. Remove SD Card from the camcorder

2. On the lcd panel, press the camera<>play button (the one on the right to the playlist button). If the single photo screen appears, move the zoom lever toward W.

3. At that point you are in the review pictures/shots mode. Go to the photo tab and select the SD tab (if you have one , not on my HF200) using the navigation arrows

3. Press start/stop (back of the camcorder), photo (top of the camcorder) and video snap (same side than the panel of the camcorder) for at least two seconds.

4. You get a message asking you if you want to activate underwater mode. Use the navigation arrows to say yes and press SET. Otherwise, selecting No will cancel the operation.

5. The camcorder will reset and automatically turn off. When it turns on , set date/time .

After that, the underwater mode can be selected in menu => exposure program => far right (portrait or something else) => press set to access other program . The underwater mode icon is a bubbling fish.

Have fun :)

I am a looking into WAL for the housing. Up to now I see 3 available.

INON UWL100
Epoque DCL-20
Ikelite WP 20

From what I can see the INON is the only lens w/ the bayonet fitting to attach a dome port. This is not my primary concern (but a "nice to have" feature) I am wondering if there is any difference in the vignetting/ distortion / blurring around the outside of the image between lenses. This is really annoying as I have experienced it in the past.

I have read through most of the thread and seen some vids. Can any users of these lenses comment on there results?

Cheers,

Phil

I've got the same question about the lenses and any suggestions on the brand for a red filter?
I'm fitting my HF20 and WP-v1 with a ULCS tray and handle on the left and an extension on the right so I can mount two FIX lights that I used to use as focus lights on my D70/Subal rig.
We'll see.
Thanks,
TedJ

I have reviewed this entire thread however I have not seen any videos that make me want to buy this camera and housing(no offence intended).The videos seem to be lacking in colour compared to stills that are posted on other sites. Perhaps this is a difference in videos vs stills. I would appreciate seeing some more videos shot with this setup. Thanks

If you don't like the camera that's perfectly fine and it makes no difference to me or anyone else. There are many choices. I am a bit puzzled by your comments. Who would compare stills to videos? Use the right tool for the job. Don't buy any video cam if you want great stills!

As for video, that is something else. Consider that the camera is fairly new and there is not much material from it and what is available is often lacking in post edit color correction. Be careful not to compare directly with a rig using lights for close up shots. They are a big help there but for shots through a long water column in good vis, they are worthless. This camera can actually oversaturate colors in shallow shots using the underwater mode.

Below is a link to my last video on YouTube using this camera. I posted in another thread you may have missed. My video skills may be lacking, but what is demonstrated is what you can get at the surface, in dark holes at 115ft, and everything in between. Interspersed are still shots by my wife using a Canon 940, itself no stellar performer but at least you can compare the results from the two sources under the same conditions. Her camera was also used for the short clip on land in the surface interval. The buffering time necessary to play it through without stopping at 1080 is a real bear though.

YouTube - mindlife's Channel

I have reviewed this entire thread however I have not seen any videos that make me want to buy this camera and housing(no offence intended).The videos seem to be lacking in colour compared to stills that are posted on other sites. Perhaps this is a difference in videos vs stills. I would appreciate seeing some more videos shot with this setup. Thanks

In general, still pictures will always look better than video. A camcorder is basically recording a bunch of pictures very fast (24-60 pictures per second). So fast it looks like continuous motion. Consumer HD camcorder resolution is approximately 2mp. These are the main reasons pictures look better than video.

This is a video camcorder and housing system that costs < $1000. If you compare it to other video systems in this price range, it looks pretty good.

Thank you everyone for posting the info about this enclosure. I finally got mine in and took it for a spin. We had a very clear day diving out of Ponce Inlet, FL in the 70' range. When I got home I reviewed my video and found that I was not angling the camera properly and filmed 90% blue water instead of the reef and fish. I definitely will be pucrhasing a WAL before taking it out again. Now all that I need is an updated computer! It's always something... I hope to post videos soon, but first I will need to learn how to stabilize the camera more so you all don't get a headache while watching.

-I did have a considerable amount of condensation inside the housing... so much so that it was puddling up. Not good! I am going to throw some of those little moisture catcher packs in next time, or maybe some tampons. The water temp was in the mid 60's, maybe that is what caused it.

-Patrick

Quote "I did have a considerable amount of condensation inside the housing... so much so that it was puddling up."

I would not think you could get that much condensation to puddle.
On one dive I got moisture inside, enough to just puddle. After having a good look I found a fine hair on the o-ring and that was enough to cause it.
When I clean my oring before use now I run the o-ring between my bent finger and thumb with a small bit of silicon grease. If you do it right you can feel anything on the o-ring.
I have also seen a thread on canon p&s housings, that showed that the molding seams were were their housings had leaked and they were polishing the seams down to stop it.
I also try to setup and close the housing in an airconditioned room, so there is less moisture in the air when you close the housing.
Oh and have use moisture munchers always!!

I took my housing out in Kenya, the water temp according to my computer was 31 Celcius. No condensation, I suspect you have a leak. Having shot professionally U/W for quite a few years I really like this set up for skiing and diving. The main problem U/W is the positive buoyancy of the housing. Will need to work on getting this right. Also I finally managed to get it into U/W mode (not by following canon directions!) and while the colours seemed fantastic I had difficulty zooming and keeping the subject in focus. Also zooming and maintaining a steady shot is difficult because of the positive buoyancy.

Few quick Q
1.For freshwater, do you use the underwater mode?
2.Do you leave the side holding strap on the camcorder when you put it in the housing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom