Can't Dive Cozumel w/o an Instructor?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The person you will be cheating is yourself if you choose to "sneak" through a hotel to shore dive. Cozumel is a world class destination and as a diver you should enjoy it to its fullest! That means getting on a boat and letting a professional show you the best that diving in Cozumel has to offer. Additionally its really nice to dive from the boat... they'll take care of you no matter what operator. If you just want to dive in a small group.. take a fast boat.

I'm glad that you think you have it all figured out...but I'll sum up the way it works here for you, from a dive shop owner/Instructor/Marine park guide's perspective.

The marine park starts at Paradise reef (at the Carnival cruise ship pier) and extends around the south point of the island to Punta Molas. It includes the shoreline and extends from the shoreline outward for 2 nautical miles...much further than you can swim.

"Sneaking" through hotel property to get to the shoreline to dive is not going to be as easy as you seem to think. The resorts have tight security that doesn't allow non-guests onto the property. Furthermore, if you do get through...how do you plan to get tanks, weights and equipment if needed?

There are a few places for shore diving outside the park that are accessible to pretty much anyone and have a shop there that will rent you tanks and weights for a nominal fee with proof of certification. However, unless you are an experienced diver, I don't recommend this as even shore dives can have some wicked current. Some of these places are: Caribe Blu/Blue Angel, Barracuda/Dive Paradise, VillaBlanca/Dive Paradise, VillaBlanca/Papa Hogs, Casa del Mar/Del Mar Aquatics, Hotel Cozumel/Dive Paradise. If you are foolish enough to attempt to swim out into the channel towards the reef, you will find yourself in a very dangerous position due to currents and heavy boat traffic...boat captains that are not expecting or looking for divers in this area between the reef and the shoreline...even if you do have a buoy deployed.

If you come all the way to Cozumel and only shore dive, you're going to go away with a severely warped perception of Cozumel diving, and that would be very sad. As others have said, this is not Bonaire or Curacao. The reefs here are something special and shore dives don't come close to representing the Cozumel reef system.

If you book diving with a dive operator, as do 99% of divers that come here to dive...they will be boat dives and a divemaster (not necessarily an instructor) WILL be on the boat and in the water with you. You don't pay extra for this...it's part of the charter and should be no more than 8 divers per DM...less is obviously preferrable. The DM's are GUIDES not BABYSITTERS. They will give you a briefing and tell you the rules/policies of the operation and how the dive will be conducted. Every DM is different and has a different style. If you get in the water and prove that you're a safe and responsible diver...most will leave you alone and do your thing. If on the other hand you have problems, and/or are molesting marine life, not following the dive plan, etc....you'll be monitored more closely.

I hope this gives you a better understanding of diving Cozumel. :)

You are...very nice! We ARE diving off boats, but would like to experience some shore dives as well. Thanks for the info but next time don't treat people like idiots and the advice might be taken better!

I do appreciate the advice you gave though...thanks

There's a great little reef between Blue Angel Resort and Villablanca Hotel (about 1.5 miles south of the ferry pier). They'll let you shore dive from Blue Angel without a DM.

Would that be north of Blue Angel? I took a cab from Blue Angel to Casa del Mar and drifted back north to Blue Angel. It took about 1 hour and it was a lot of fun.

You are...very nice! We ARE diving off boats, but would like to experience some shore dives as well. Thanks for the info but next time don't treat people like idiots and the advice might be taken better!

she wasn't treating you like an idiot..... she was treating you like a person who has never been to Cozumel (which you are) asking questions (which you are) and assuming that diving is Cozumel is like most other places when shore diving is available (which you are). You need to go to Cozumel once to understand what all of us are trying to tell you.

Cozumel is a world-class diving destination because of the awesome deep reefs which are off-shore and not accessible by shore diving.
Most of the coastline of Cozumel is ironshore, and not conducive to shore diving regardless.
Some hotels have a tiny man-made shore entry area for shore diving and some coral rubble with fish hanging around but this is nothing like the reef diving from boat.
Current can be strong even in only 20' deep water so be aware.
Be very careful about boat traffic.
I have had some excellent shore dives right in front of Papahogs but that was Pre-Wilma.

robin:D

Hey - your response to her should have been "Thanks"

Hold the attitude, please - she took the time to give you a full response in a very professional way from someone who makes a living doing this. And the correct info to boot!

You posted a question from your dive buddy with totally incorrect assumptions, and your questions have been answered.

Her tone in the begining didn't jive well with me, but it is VERY possible I took it wrong. I might have been hyped up at the fact I've called so many places in Cozumel and they said all you can do is get a DM and boat dive. Since I have already pre-paid for 4 boat trips there and would just like to do some shore dives that won't take my whole day to be away from my wife (who doesn't dive) I was frustrated. Sorry if I offended you Chrisit, but I truly appreciate your info and will be VERY careful in how I handle shoredives.

Thanks everyone else too for their responses and opinions in here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom