Can't fill out a Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debbielou

Registered
Reaction score
I have been trying on wetsuits for some time now, and most of them don't fit quite right. I want it to fit right and won't let anyone sell me one that doesn't fit. I saw a gentleman buy a suit that was too short in the legs and too big in the chest & arms from a salesman who said "It's the best fit you're going to get." I don't remember seeing him try on any other ones at that time, and he was going on vacation in a week or so. I am not going to let that happen to me..as one sales lady at another shop tried to talk me into a full wetsuit that was way to small!!!!!!
My problem is that either they don't go over my thighs, or I have too much room in the bust and the armpit area. My thoughts are that most of them are made with the idea that most women have larger breasts than myself..which if I had, the armpits would probably fit right too. I am not a small person, 126 lbs. but am not busty.
I do fit nicely into a 3/2 Mares shortie, but would like a 5/3 full suit, and I can't find any to fit. I realize I could have one made for me (preferably Liquid Fit) from what I've read on the board & research my husband did.
Can someone tell me if they have run into this problem, and how did they solve it. I'm tired of being frustrated. Thanks, Debbielou

Hi Debbielou,

Well, it sounds like you are in a bit of a predicament. At this point, I think you have 2 options. You can either buy and of the rack suit that doesn't fit and be unhappy with it for the next 5-10 years or you can go with the custom suit that fits like a glove, insulates properly and that you will never want to part with.

My vote is for choice number 2. I think it's better to spend the extra time or money or whatever to get the custom suit and look forward to diving than to dread having to put that ill-fitting suit on every time.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers,

Originally posted by Ladydiver
...you have 2 options. You can either buy and of the rack suit that doesn't fit and be unhappy with it for the next 5-10 years or you can go with the custom suit that fits like a glove, insulates properly and that you will never want to part with. My vote is for choice number 2. I think it's better to spend the extra time or money or whatever to get the custom suit and look forward to diving than to dread having to put that ill-fitting suit on every time

Bang on Ladydiver! Custom is worth every penny. It's the way I went for my "thick" suit, and for my dry suit. Like DebbieLou, I have no problem with a shortie, but with long legs and arms, and the female shape being what it is, when I went to a full suit it just didn't fit.

Take your time, look at the various companies that are out there, one will have the suit that you want.

One other thing remember pantyhose! It (or a skin) will aid greatly in slipping wet suits on (and off). I use a pair (that are not fit to be seen in -- with runs and all) to help putting on the legs. A friend uses legs as gloves to help putting on the sleeves.

my 0.02

Just to make sure (im a man but it's a good tip), im a french-speaking guy and want to know what exactly is a pantyhose?
Is it the kind of sock women wear to cover their entire legs?

Originally posted by DivingGal

One other thing remember pantyhose! It (or a skin) will aid greatly in slipping wet suits on (and off). I use a pair (that are not fit to be seen in -- with runs and all) to help putting on the legs. A friend uses legs as gloves to help putting on the sleeves.

my 0.02

DevilTron,

Pantyhose are the modern day stockings women wear that cover their entire leg. Nylon stockings used to be held up using garter belts....which pinched. Someone got the bright idea to make the stockings as a pair with built in panties, eliminating the requirement for garters to hold the stockings up.

Panty hose are basically nylon stockings for women, much like the tights we wore as youngsters. The stockings allow the wet suits to slide on easier because the neoprene slides over the nylon rather than sticking to skin.

tyki

I will probably go with a custum suit which this way I can pick out my own colors, but thought if I could, I'd like to get one off the rack. Trouble is that in New York the dive shops don't keep alot in stock like they do in Florida as I have seen what they have in Ft. Lauderdale. Too bad I wasn't looking for a full suit then. As for the pantyhose, that was a trick I've known about forever...they help with many things that are tight fitting. My sister does costume designing for the theater and I help her with her sewing when she has a big show coming up and I remember that we did that with an outfit that was tight fitting and YES it was for a guy also. When I was little we would put bread bags on our feet to get our winter boots on easier...makes sense to me. Anyways, I do have a skin and that works well for me with the shortie, but does absolutly nothing for my if I'm cold so I need a fullsuit. Thanks for the info. Hey does anyone do any diving in Freeport, Bahamas? That's where we will be going back to in April.

Originally posted by tyki
DevilTron,
Pantyhose are the modern day stockings women wear that cover their entire leg...The stockings allow the wet suits to slide on easier because the neoprene slides over the nylon rather than sticking to skin.
tyki

pantyhose = bas-culotte OK?
Si vous avez besoin d'explications complémentaires en français, envoyez-moi un E-mail. Mon français n'est pas superbe, mais je passe...
(and in English that is If you need more explanation in French, send me an e-mail. My French is not superb, but I get by...)

Désolé, sorry DivingGal. I didn't mean to make you angry by my question. ;-( You're right, next time I will ask through email. Thanks for the info anyway :(

Originally posted by DivingGal

pantyhose = bas-culotte OK?
Si vous avez besoin d'explications complémentaires en français, envoyez-moi un E-mail. Mon français n'est pas superbe, mais je passe...
(and in English that is If you need more explanation in French, send me an e-mail. My French is not superb, but I get by...)

Very few people fit the off the rack perfectly..so go custom! I have a custom drysuit and a custom wetsuit. My diveskins are not custom nor was my first drysuit. Custom fit is the best. It is warmer because it fits correctly. And because the fit is right, you are more streamlined in the water. My drysuit is from Diving Concepts (formerly Northern Divers) and my wetsuit is from Liquid Fit. Since you are looking for a wetsuit, I would highly recommend Liquid Fit. Their suits are great (mine is wonderful) and you can get great designs and colors!! And to top it all off, their prices are not that much more than off the rack prices!! You can reach them at http://www.liquidfit.com They can work with you individually or through your dive shop. ages

Originally posted by DevilTron
Désolé, sorry DivingGal. I didn't mean to make you angry by my question. You're right, next time I will ask through email. Thanks for the info anyway

Voutre interroge ne m'avez pas irrité -- la figure de l'estacade à claire-voie I chaque question est juste une étape en gagnant plus de knowlege. ---- Your questions did not anger me :)-- heck I figure every question is just a step in gaining more knowlege. :thumb:

Besides, if you ask in the open forum -- just think how many other people may have the same question, but are wondering the same thing, but are too timid to ask. Ask away, I do on a regular basis (and sometimes mine are real strange).

Back
Top Bottom