Can't get my new wetsuit on - help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, I'll try the conditioner trick. Do I spray it on myself or on the suit? I have heard that oils break down neoprene. Are there ingredients I should avoid?

You spray it inside the suit where it's needed.

Generally conditioners are oil free since you don't want to have an oily film on your hair, check the labels.

Another thought - before you spray glop all over your new wetsuit or do anything that will make it non-returnable, consider if it is really the right suit. Maybe some mistake was made on this one, or maybe this brand/model just isn't cut for you. Suits are supposed to fit closely but there's a limit. A drawback of buying a wetsuit online is that no amount of research will tell you for sure it will fit and there's always the possibility you'll need a few attempts to get one that does.

(Not sure how much suit snot will help with a Merino lining, anyway?)

Always used a dive skin. Life is so much easier, sliding in and sliding out with no binding...

You can try the hair conditioner, but I'm also thinking the suit may be too tight and should be returned. I'd try it in a pool which should keep it returnable.

Adam

Talcum powder is masterful for getting into tight suits.
That is how I got into mine the first couple of times.
My 7mm is fitting well after 10 dives. It was funny because I had to get my father to rip me out of it the first 6 dives.

Another thought - before you spray glop all over your new wetsuit or do anything that will make it non-returnable, consider if it is really the right suit. Maybe some mistake was made on this one, or maybe this brand/model just isn't cut for you. Suits are supposed to fit closely but there's a limit. A drawback of buying a wetsuit online is that no amount of research will tell you for sure it will fit and there's always the possibility you'll need a few attempts to get one that does.

(Not sure how much suit snot will help with a Merino lining, anyway?)

I agree, returning the suit is something you should consider first. I just ordered the same model but without the merino and it went on fine. Had it not been strangely cut around the neck area I would have kept it as they do look like great suits and get reviews for holding up to lots of abuse. On the other hand, Pinnacle also got a lot of bad reviews for the merino lined suits because even though the elastiprene is great, the merino liner does not stretch.

+1 for rash guard. My aqualung solarfx is a perfect fit when dry, but after the first dive, I can't get my arms back in without breaking a sweat. I tried the bag trick and various lubes with limited success. The lycra rash guard is absolute magic. I've been doing the rash guard for 2 years so love it. I never leave home without my rash guard.

Hubby & I tried on the 7mm Pinacle Merrino in a store this week and found them very grabby & tight - they fit snugger than normal.

Back
Top Bottom