Can't hear my tank banger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nikko81

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,
I recently bought a tank banger and tried it first time yesterday. To my disappointment, I could hardly hear it myself, let alone my buddies. I am doing smth wrong, or it is the way it works? :)

Last edited:
Is it one of those bungee things with the plastic ball? If so it was originally designed by PT Barnum. He did it to test his theory of a sucker being born every minute. Throw the damn thing away. Use the butt of a knife or even better keep your buddies where you don't need a toy like that to keep in contact. A better choice if you must have a noisemaker is get a piece of 3/4 inch pvc about 5 inches long. Put a couple ball bearings or marbles in it and cap both ends. COst will be around $1.

Yes, I mean this device, plastic ball on bungee ring. Seems that I that I bought a crap.

Hi,
I recently bought a tank banger and tried it first time yesterday. To my disappointment, I could hardly hear it myself, let alone my buddies. I am doing smth wrong, or it is the way it works? :)

How exactly are you "deploying" it?

Unless a Whale Shark is sighted I do not want to hear tank banging.

Even then, I don't want to hear any damn banging.

The farther off the tank you pull it before release, the louder it'll bang. Sometimes it takes a few bangs to get someone's attention. They can get quite loud. They can also get annoying, especially if overused or around a group (sort of like shouting, or tooting your car horn); use with discretion.

I like them in Bonaire where my buddy & I may be engrossed in the reef & several feet apart. Good for 'Hey, look around, something's going on!' or 'Come see this big eel!'

I get that some knives can be used for the purpose. I learned when I was a kid that me & knives don't mix well (got a scar on my left hand to remind me about that). A small blunt-tipped scuba knife would probably be okay for me, but for now, I like my tank banger.

Richard.

Although we sell them, I wish we didn't. Every time I've been on a trip, the people with them really shouldn't have them. I'm a fan of staying close enough to my buddy to tap them to get their attention. Even with my legal limit of open water students, I never needed an underwater noisemaker to get someone's attention. But yes, it should be loud enough for you to hear. Perhaps the band is a little long and not creating enough tension. Try knotting the tubing to make it tighter to see if that helps.

How exactly are you "deploying" it?
2 RJP: well, I deploy it simply by pulling with the right hand, and then releasing. The bungee is very tight. The tank had massive plastic boot, maybe the boot dampens the sound?

I bought this thing and I'm also dissapointed.

Attachments

• Tank banger Trident.jpg
    Tank banger Trident.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 94
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom