Can't name fish I saw in Destin, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I was snorkelling at the jetties in Destin Florida. I went down about 10-15 feet and there was a pair of fish that I have never seen before. They were about 20 in long, slender and dark grey. I don't remember what the body of the fish looked like specifically, cause when it turned to look at me, I was kind of taken aback by what I saw. The fish had four fins that were in sort of an "X" around it's head. If anyone knows what I was possibly looking at, I would greatly appreciate any information.

luclapointe13:
I was snorkelling at the jetties in Destin Florida. I went down about 10-15 feet and there was a pair of fish that I have never seen before. They were about 20 in long, slender and dark grey. I don't remember what the body of the fish looked like specifically, cause when it turned to look at me, I was kind of taken aback by what I saw. The fish had four fins that were in sort of an "X" around it's head. If anyone knows what I was possibly looking at, I would greatly appreciate any information.
Well..... sounds like the head-on view of a Ladyfish, locally referred to as Skipjack, or possibly a mullet.
No picture just can't be sure.
Rick

After looking around at pictures of the suggestions that you made, I'm thinking that it was a mullet. I really appreciate your help as it's been bugging me since I saw it, and I was nowhere near an internet connection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom