Can't open the &$(%#!! flashlight!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dogglebe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
On the way back from my vacation in Turks and Caicos, luggage inspectors had me open a suitcase containing my Princeton Tec Torrent LED flashlight and remove the batteries. I had no problem unscrewing everything, pulling out the batteries, and screwing it back together... all done without any tools.

Now, I can't unscrew the light to put batteries back in. I tried putting a rubber band around the top for a better grip (a great old trick) but it's no budging. I don't want to use a vice or any other tool in fear of cracking it.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm wondering if it could be a vacuum seal in the light as T&C was a lot warmer where I am now. Maybe I should place it in my car where it gets pretty hot in daylight hours.

Any help would be appreciated.

Phil

I think you're on the right track, you need to warm the air inside the light to equalize the pressure, the warm air of T&C cooled after you sealed the light, so the air pressure inside the light is lower than the air pressure outside the light, you need to raise the air pressure inside the light.

My guess is it is an air pressure problem likely due to sea level, humidity and temps. I would get a pair of these and turn them against each other:

Amazon.com: 2 Piece Rubber Strap Wrench Set: Home Improvement

Heating it up will cause expansion. Putting it in a colder environment will cause the PSI to drop. Both can cause this problem. The trick will be matching the inside pressure to the current outside pressure.

On the way back from my vacation in Turks and Caicos, luggage inspectors had me open a suitcase containing my Princeton Tec Torrent LED flashlight and remove the batteries. I had no problem unscrewing everything, pulling out the batteries, and screwing it back together... all done without any tools.

Now, I can't unscrew the light to put batteries back in. I tried putting a rubber band around the top for a better grip (a great old trick) but it's no budging. I don't want to use a vice or any other tool in fear of cracking it.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm wondering if it could be a vacuum seal in the light as T&C was a lot warmer where I am now. Maybe I should place it in my car where it gets pretty hot in daylight hours.

Any help would be appreciated.

Phil
Unfortunately, this tends to be a concern with any sealed light. The air pressure can seal the thing shut. Best thing to do is to fly with the cap off, or, remove the orings prior to flying and storing temporarily inside as not to lose them. Just don't forget to put them back on!

As far as some of the other suggestions, some of these may prove useful.

I got the same problem with the same light. When I got back from diving I tried to remove the batteries and I cant untwist the top. Feels like its been super glued in place. Tried hot water for 30 minutes, covered the top with a cloth and tried to use a wrench but if I tighten the wrench any furhter I will break the light.

I emailed Princeton tech to see if I can buy a replacement plastic top so I can break the other one off. Currently waiting for a reply so hopefully they can sort me out.
If not then im thinking of taking it back down to depth when I go on holiday in a few weeks and see if I can open it slightly.

Since the pressure is different on the inside of the light, will there be a problem of taking it up in an aircraft?

Just an update. When I finally got to the hotel complex I did manage to unscrew the top. I believe it was the coldness in the baggage hold that enabled me to finally unscrew it.
So if it happens again im shoving it in the fridge for a couple of hours lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom