Can't stay warm...what am I overlooking?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matthew Jones

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I dive almost exclusively in 74+ degree temp waters here in Hawaii. I've only ever dove in Hawaii and St. Martin/Marteen, so I'm a bit spoiled in this regard. Many people and fellow DMs are wearing skin or 3mm suits. I wear a 5/4, with a lavacore shirt under, as well as shorts with pockets over and 5mm boots. I don't like hoods and how they trap the water in my ear, if I can help it.

It's just weird that my wife and friends and peers are always nice and cozy and I'm shivering, seemingly on the borderline of hypothermia underwater. Not so bad that I CAN'T do things, but bad enough on a lot of days, especially here in the winter (it's my first winter here) that I don't enjoy some or all of the dives. Today I dove one dive at 89ft and one at 55ft, and was miserable the whole time. It was windy on the surface as well.

I know the standard dive physics you need to know to pass DM/instructor, but it doesn't really cover..."What if you are in warm water and you are the only one freezing" scenario. I am in great shape but nothing body building. So I have probably a 12-14% body fat. This morning I didn't have too much for breakfast, just a protein bar, but that's not completely abnormal for me. I'm not sick or on medications.

I was told today you can't keep upping your wetsuits because eventually your body gets used to and becomes cold anyhow. In other words, if I was to move to a 7mm, eventually I'd have to ween myself off of that in the summer or else my body would be so used to it that next winter it would be too cold etc. Not sure if I necessarily believe that. Of course, everyone gives me crap about the being cold, which I just shrug and say what can I do. After all, it's not my choice to be freezing, and I wish I wasn't.

The weirdest thing is that I am always the one who is hot when not in the water. I keep my house at like 65 degrees because I'm always warm, and I can't even sleep if I'm warm. Yet in the water...the opposite.

Just wondering if anyone else has experience like this, or something I am doing wrong perhaps...something I should be eating before a dive or whatnot.

I'm just like you. I have a solution: DRY suit. I don't dive wet anywhere any more. A shell dry suit with a light undergarment keeps me delightfully comfortable for more than 90 minutes in tropical water.

Definitely get a drysuit. If you want to stay wet, then you can go for a 7mm semi-dry, and if you're still cold then add a 5mm vest. 12mm on your core is a big difference from a 3mm. But by the time you buy all that, you're really just wasting money you could've spent on a dry suit. Might as well do it the first time. Plus, a drysuit is suitable for any environment, from the tropics to the arctics, just adjust your undergarments accordingly.

You can get an entry-level drysuit for $800-$1000. Best money you'll spend on diving.

My biggest thing about the dry suit (and I know very little) is having a catheter attached and whatnot. I admit I usually pee 1-3 times per dive. But that could be a result of being so cold all the time

I too share your discomfort.
A less expensive approach than a dry suit would be to get used to wearing a hood. I wear a fleece, not neoprene, beanie and it makes a world of difference. Also are you sure your wetsuit(s) are well-fitting? I sometimes wear a fleece full-suit under neoprene. It seems to help with fit issues.

Catheters aren't that big of a deal. But if you don't want one, just make sure you pee prior to the dive, and after if you need to. Plus you'll find you don't have such a desire to pee when your body isn't wet and cold.

You definitely get used to hoods. I love the heck out of mine. Also, not minding the cold on land, but getting cold under water isn't that uncommon, I'm certainly the same way. I'm happy in short sleeves all winter, and my apartment is usually in the upper 50s. But even as a kid I hated going into the lap pools, since they were cooler than the bathtub-like water aerobic pools. Different types of tolerance.

At the surface even 74 degree water is pretty chilly. You lose heat 20 times faster than air. So the warm tropical air might feel comfy but get in water the same temp - brrr.

also everyone's sense of cold is different so wetsuit thickness is a highly personal choice. I dive 3 mm but on longer or deeper dive I might start feel cold. I've even thought about going to 5 mm for Hawaii in particular. My daughter dives a 7 mm in Hawaii and any thinner would be cold.

If a hood is not too comfortable then think about a beanie. You lose 50% body heat through your head. Some head protection would be highly recommended to stay warm.

With things as they are I think you should eat more before diving. You need energy to produce heat. Keep yourself warm on the surface, especially if it's windy, between your dives. The air may be ok, but with the wind and you being wet it will further cool you. And try a hood. If you didn't like the one you tried, find a different model. The "we lose most heat from the head" is of course a myth, but less wrong when the head is the only part of your body that's not covered (this situation resembles more the 1950's US military from where the myth arises, in which volunteers were exposed to cold while wearing survival suits, but nothing on their heads).

These things may help you, but if you want to go a step forward, get a new suit. No, people don't get used to being warm and then start feeling cold again! Either go for a semi-dry, a proper one with dry zip and neck, wrist and ankle seals or dry suit. I've been diving dry even in warm places.
As for peeing, a good semi-dry will already leave you too dry to pee in it. And if you are warmer, you won't feel so much the need for peeing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom