Captain Fred Calhoun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob Evans

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Today we got the sad news our good friend and mentor Captain Fred Calhoun passed on. Those who went diving with the Captain and CC will remember their dive boat " Easy Diver". Rest in peace Captain Calhoun.

Attachments

• 11-11-19-scan036-fw.jpg
    11-11-19-scan036-fw.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 100
OMG, that is most terrible news. I have known Fred since the mid-80's. I dove on his boat and interacted with him on many occasion when I lived in MA. His contribution to the science and engineering of diving are most valuable and irreplaceable.

May Allah give his family the patience and solace to endure his loss and rewards them with His guidance to the righteous path.

Dove several times with Captain Fred and his crew on his boat Easy Diver. He allowed me and my dive buddies to do so even though he disapproved of our use of a BCD and that we didn't refer to our weights as ballast. Recall him admonishing us 'Your BALLAST is your buoyancy control'. It was nice not having to get up at the crack of dawn to dive with him on Easy Diver.

Captain Fred was a wealth of scuba information and history as well as being quite the character. He will be missed by many.

Found several nice images I took of Captain Calhoun and CC diving Andros Island. Susanne and Fred, and just the Captain. Will miss his strong voice and opinions
05andros549.jpg
051109-031.jpg
051109-2-016.jpg

I knew Fred for many years since he was a PDIC instructor and I grew up at PDIC HQ. He was a character. Dove with him in Islamorada once when I worked in Key Largo. I thought he was going to outlive the Rolling Stones. Condolences.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom