Captain Lost Our Group

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have seen DM's take the time to teach people who want to learn how. Last year one of the divers on a boat asked the DM if he could practice deploying his SMB with his reel. DM was great about talking him through it and then in the water being right there with him to show him how/monitor him. Worked well and diver really appreciated it. Best way to learn is to practice it, just don't whip it out and deploy without talking to your DM 1st lol.......especially since we can't carry knives in the marine park......nothign to cut you free with if you get tangled. Thus why I only carry one for the surface. I have a coiled bungee on mine I can put around my ankle to hold it, lay back and relax and let it hold my feet up for me. :)

Does this extend to line cutters as well?

Up to the DM since they seem to be the enforcers of the no gloves no knife rule, I would assume ok, since they usually sit in a BC pocket anyway......

Does this extend to line cutters as well?
I think those are fine, altho the only line I have seen in the park was tied to diver reels.

Up to the DM since they seem to be the enforcers of the no gloves no knife rule, I would assume ok, since they usually sit in a BC pocket anyway......
You don't see much of the rangers but I bet they can arrest the diver and the DM both if they wanted to.

I cannot say this with 100% certainty, but I believe the no knife rule is designed to protect the reef from people who use knives as tools to pry loose souvenirs. I have always assumed that shears and Z-knives would not be considered knives because they cannot be used as a tool for that purpose.

I always carry shears when diving in a marine park that disallows knives; I always ask the DM or Captain to be sure there is no problem and so far have always been told that shears were fine. Don't know about Z-knives. I've never had cause to use them in a marine park so far, but Murphy says I'll need them the first time I decide to leave them behind.

. Don't know about Z-knives.
They have less destructive capacity than shears.

I cannot say this with 100% certainty, but I believe the no knife rule is designed to protect the reef from people who use knives as tools to pry loose souvenirs. I have always assumed that shears and Z-knives would not be considered knives because they cannot be used as a tool for that purpose.

I also believe it was to stop people from using their knives as coral anchors in the currents........I can remember in the 90's seeing people using their knives in strong currents to stab into the coral to stop themselves.......same with gloves. People were much more likely to grab on and hang on to stuff with gloves on. Now you hardly see anyone touching the coral. I thought it was a silly rule at first, but definitely glad they did it!

I once saw a kid carving his initials into a sponge U/W.

We have people carving into aspens up here in the mountains, I Love Lucy!

Just what you want to see in the wilderness.

I also believe it was to stop people from using their knives as coral anchors in the currents........I can remember in the 90's seeing people using their knives in strong currents to stab into the coral to stop themselves.......same with gloves. People were much more likely to grab on and hang on to stuff with gloves on. Now you hardly see anyone touching the coral. I thought it was a silly rule at first, but definitely glad they did it!

Unfortunately, it is the same logical process that makes guns illegal in many places because some crimes are committed with guns.

Unfortunately, it is the same logical process that makes guns illegal in many places because some crimes are committed with guns.

Yikes. Ya had to go there?

can-of-worms.jpg

Back
Top Bottom