CAR KEY....Revived!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I searched for the old thread, sorry. SO, very windy day. My usual routine of burying it prior to diving in ziplock bag in sand/bushes, etc. meant that after retrieving it I put it under my wiper blade to keep it from blowing away. Then drove off. Fortunately, my wife had the insurance so the replacement key will ONLY cost $45 Canadian (instead of the usual HUNDREDS). 12 years of this procedure and I finally got screwed. What else to do though? I don't think I can get a simple metal copy of my key, due to the Vin #, but will look around more. I HATE chip keys. Has car theft actually dropped since they came about? Remember the old days when you made 3-4 car key copies for $1.50 each--all which opened the door and STARTED the car. Now, I know there is some reason getting a new CHIP key costs a fortune. BUT, maybe there could be a unit you hide in the car that once you click it would allow a simple metal non-chip key to start the car. POSSIBLY something that could be done in 2017......it's not 1992.

In 2005 we got a used van with only one chip key. To get a 2nd key was $111 Canadian. I've heard it's hundreds now. And if you don't get a spare key cut and lose the other one, we were told to "re-key" the car costs $1,200. FOR A KEY. Wish I had that key cutting job. Is this all not insane? I'm sure someone will explain to me why it is not in 2017.

Last edited:
Many car keys are chipped just like your pet and can go under water without damage. If it has the function keys however you are out of luck

Where do you think the whole car jacking thing came from? An unskilled thug can't steal a parked car that includes this these days. (Unless they are driving a flatbed wrecker.)

What kind of car do you drive? I have a Toyota and got the techstream software with obd cable for $25 and I can order a key off ebay and program it myself.

Many car keys are chipped just like your pet and can go under water without damage.

My tabby cat Gracie would disagree.

Picture35-2.png

Last edited:
Where do you think the whole car jacking thing came from? An unskilled thug can't steal a parked car that includes this these days. (Unless they are driving a flatbed wrecker.)
To reply to all: YES, my recent VERY THOUGHT! As well, cop shows still talk of car-theft rings. No more "hotwiring", I suppose. My car is a GM Terrain (2013). I can't "program" anything. Don't they all have the "function" keys now anyway? Either way, nothing that costs hundreds of dollars with electronics in it is ever going underwater with me--but that's from the old thread.

Get a steel dumb key - it will unlock the doors, but not start the car.

I've done this for Infiniti, Mazda - so that should include Nissan and (most) Fords.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom