Carabiners no more

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldflounder

Contributor
Reaction score
New Hampshire/Maine seacoast or Lake Winnie
# of dives
200 - 499
Up until this past weekend I have been using various size carabiners for hanging accessories. I love them. They are cheap, light, fast attaching, and pretty much salt water corrosion proof. I use a big one for attaching my mask/fins on entry/exit, I use them to sling my 13 pony, shears, etc., etc. That came to a screaching halt this weekend. I see now why they call them death clips and suicide clips. I was moving along in 15' of water when I felt a tug on my right side. I felt around and found my secured-to-the-bottom dive flag line was now attached to me via the clip in a hard to reach spot. This was a big eye-opener! Many what-ifs went through my mind. Just minutes before I had been trying in vain to cut a length of anchor rope off a lost anchor. From now on - no more carabiners!

You can mix and match, and they will do pretty much whatever you want if you call them.
Diving Snaps

Hey while you are open minded and realizing there is a reason some things shouldn't be done, it might be a good time to read thru GUE's guide, and find a copy and read this book. Amazon.com: Doing it Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving (9780971326705): Jarrod Jablonski: Books

Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

A super simple cut off steak knife works wonders for whacking thru anchor line.

135-021.600.jpg

Yikes - glad nothing bad happened. Good decision on the 'biners.

You can mix and match, and they will do pretty much whatever you want if you call them.
Diving Snaps

Hey while you are open minded and realizing there is a reason some things shouldn't be done, it might be a good time to read thru GUE's guide, and find a copy and read this book. Amazon.com: Doing it Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving (9780971326705): Jarrod Jablonski: Books

Equipment Configuration | Global Underwater Explorers

A super simple cut off steak knife works wonders for whacking thru anchor line.

135-021.600.jpg

they suck at stabbing flounder, though. :)

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

J
Are you using a real climbing carabiner or one those SS ones found at hardware store and marinas? If usine a climbing carabiner and you like them, try using one the has a locking gate. I switched to boltsnaps and never looked back. No more danglies, and much cleaner config!

It hasn't since 2004. Same one. But it's on my video housing so gets opened a couple times per week.

I use a locking carabiner underwater, and it has had to be replaced due to corrosion, but thanks to REI that was a non issue. I routinely lube it with WD40 also. Although if mine fails the only thing that is going to happen is the anchor stays attached to the bridle *shrugs*

Bridle.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom