Carbon pencils for slates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can find (Bic?) 1.2mm wide lead pencils, kinda fat with no pocket clip and intended for school children, on Amazon and other places. I don't know if there's any metal in them or how they'd hold up (I just came across them) but they make a fat wide stroke that's easy to see.

With a plain wood pencil, or anything porous including leather sheaths, you can also do a nice job of waterproofing it by applying mineral oil or other light oil, then placing it in an oil-filled ziplock and taking it down to depth for a while. The oil gets squeezed in, the air comes out...the material is now oil-saturated and just a little occasional oiling in the future keeps it "waterproof".

I take a shortie golf pencil and just sharpen both ends. It gets wet, it gets dry. BFD.

We use Koh-I-Noor - Progresso - 12 Woodless Graphite Pencils, I think 2B. And surgical rubber tube.

You can take the wood less graphite pencils and shrink wrap them with Shrink wrap tubing used for electrical wiring. I even put a loop of cave line on my pencil so I could attach it to my notebook. My pencil has lasted over 10 years without getting replaced. as it wears I just use a knife to sharpen it before the dive. I have yet to have one break. If the graphite breaks it stays in the shrink wrap which holds the pencil together till it gets sharpened to the point of the break. You can go to hobby lobby and pick up the pencils for $5.99. The shrink wrap comes in pre cut lengths and you can also get the special ones with a marine glue inside the tube. That is the marine grade shrink wrap for wiring that goes on boats.

I used my knife to saw a ring around a pencil cm from end so I could tie string around it to tie to slate. Use a Scotch Brite scrubby sponge to clean off markings.
It is pretty murky, and these other ideas are looking good to me.

Every once in a while, SWMBO drags me to IKEA. At the entrance, you can pick up a notepad and a pencil. Whenever I'm there' I grab a small handful of those pencils. They work very, very well underwater.

Just sayin'

I used my knife to saw a ring around a #2 pencil about 1cm from end so I could tie string around it to tie to slate. Use a Scotch Brite scrubby sponge to clean off markings.
It is pretty murky, and these other ideas are looking good.

I'm with Storker except I get mine from golf courses

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom