Cardiac Arrest - Whytecliff, Vancouver, BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gchapman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
News1130 - ALL NEWS RADIO.

A 50-year-old diving trainer was in the waters off Whytecliff Park in West Vancouver this morning, when his students noticed he was having difficulty.

"He came up from a depth of 100 feet, from what I understand from witnesses. By the time he surfaced, he was in full cardiac arrest," says Division Fire Chief Martin Ernst of West Vancouver Fire and Rescue.

The group I was with arrived at the site just as EMS arrived, and left shortly after the emergency helicopter departed. I don't know any other confirmed details.

News1130 - ALL NEWS RADIO.

The group I was with arrived at the site just as EMS arrived, and left shortly after the emergency helicopter departed. I don't know any other confirmed details.

Very sad news. We heard the call on the marine radio today. Sadly we were placing a memorial for a diver lost a year ago in Nanaimo.
Be careful out there folks.

Dave ... is the memorial on the Breton?

We were working on the Annapolis yesterday, and one of the guys with us heard about the Whytecliffe incident in the radio.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Diving instructor dies

Diving instructor dies
The Province
Published: Monday, November 24, 2008
A 61-year-old diving instructor died yesterday while diving in West Vancouver's Whytecliff Marine Park.

Acting Sgt. Ed Pearce of the West Vancouver Police said the man, whose identity is being witheld pending notification of next of kin, was the last to surface from the dive just before 11 a.m.

Upon surfacing, the instructor indicated to one of the other divers that he was having difficulty and needed help to shore. By the time they made it back to land, the instructor was unconscious.

Emergency crews revived him and airlifted him to Vancouver General Hospital, where he died.

Back
Top Bottom