Cardio questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although you seem to mean that as a joke, it is truer than you think.

Yeh RD it was a bit tongue in cheek and I was wondering if someone would chime in!
I know the human body is no where as simple as my simple mind works but it is hard to not make the connection for anyone who has grabbed a bottle of rubbing alcohol to use as a degreaser in a pinch (or on purpose). Add to that news flashes on major networks like "could moderate alcohol consumption be good for your health" details at 11. I like you previously (or maybe even less) only consume a dozen servings or less of alcohol a year. I was thinking of adding a shot of something at bedtime as a preventative measure also having cardiac risk factors such as family history,mild type 2 diabetes and obesity. I sometimes take tylenol or an anti inflammatory before bed when my back acts up so that I can get a decent sleep and was thinking of trying the 1 drink method instead. The things that have stopped me are 1) I have two teenage children (15&17) who so far have lived in a household where no one smokes or drinks and the thought of them seeing me taking a shot before bed or smelling it on my breath kinda bothers me. 2) I take a statin at bedtime and while it only warns of excessive alcohol use I'm leery of taking them in a close proximity of time. 3) I often wonder on studies like these is it the effect of the compound (alcohol in this case) or the physiology or some other factor of the person who craves the self medication or lifestyle that is really causing the results?

I was wondering if the organs had some kind of self preservation mode. ...

Well, the discussion prompted me to go see if I could find some references
to back up what I stated in my initial response:
My amateur understanding, though, is that if you are actually malnourished
in this area, the body will dissolve structural muscle (those big biceps of yours)
to keep organs like the heart maintained, but only to a point. ...

Well I think I sort of did, but it's not quite the scenario I may have suggested.
First of all, the correct term is skeletal muscle, not structural muscle.
The survival mechanism that seems to exist is that heart muscle (in particular)
is metabolized at a lower rate than skeletal muscle during starvation.
The protein from that metabolism does not actually become heart muscle,
however. So there is a preservation mode, but more limited than I might
have suggested.

See http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/reprint/110/1/22.pdf[SIZE=-1]

Another more comprehensive reference you may find interesting given your
other comments in this thread is Protein-Energy Interactions

Anyway, thanks for an interesting question. I learned some things.
[/SIZE]

hello LI (bye the way i live in Babylon NY) first a natural body can digest up too 33 grams of protein per 3 hours (by natural i mean not on any supplements legal or other wise :no) all else goes out as waste which brings me to the reason your body does not store exes protein as fat, it takes to much energy to do it.... you body burns energy converting food to fuel much like fire and coal only think of your body as the fire, it likes things like wood and coal it doesn't like plastic see what i mean plastic will burn but you need another fuel to do it .your body needs Carbs and sugars to burn the protein thats why excess protein goes out the back door and not on the luv handles:eyebrow:

"D) empty calories like Vodka have no nutritional value "

NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I'm soo screwed.

Thanks RD interesting reading! And actually suprising enough to me I kinda felt sorry for the rats????

JR we should dive at the bridge or somewhere local this summer, do you belong to any diving clubs? I'm in Brentwood. As far as the protein utilized I was quoting from memory of a lifetime ago! So maybe my outlook on Atkins needs to be revisited! I have lost a lot of weight on it in the past but I know I feel better on a balanced diet with some glycogen in my muscles and liver!

which bridge do you dive ? pm me we will talk i am looking for new people to dive with

The USLA has a requirement of being able to swim 550 yards in 10 min. There is a goal. The internet is your information source. Be part of the solution instead of the problem.

is that with fins or without

is that with fins or without

Without..........

This is pretty much the "norm" for "rescue swimmers". Most Beach fronts and Ocean front guards are trained under the USLA standards. It really isnt that hard if you practice swimming. The USCG also has the same standards for thier AST's. I am 46 y/o and I can do it in 8:45 and I am not a real fast swimmer. My son who was on the swim team, been a lifeguard for 4 years can swim it in 5:50.

Swimming is a great way for losing weight.

impressive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom