Cardio questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

impressive

Not really. Thanks anyways.......

My son comes in about 3rd on most of his swim meets on his 500 meter freestyle out of a dozen swimmers on his team. And I do mini tri's and I just about come in last on the swimming in my age group. I have too make up my time on the bike/running part.

Another good thing about swimming is that it´s very low-impact and engages a lot of muscles. You can also use things like fins and paddles to increase the resistance...or just try a few laps of butterfly :wink:

I may give it a try today at the gym. I have been mixing swimming into my exercise about once a week but I got bored with counting laps. The gym has a 25 yard pool and if I remember it took me about 45 minutes to do 60 laps at a leisurely pace. I've lately just tryed to swim constantly for up to an hour. I recently bought a heart rate monitor and have been using it to stay in my target zone for at least 30 minutes out of a 45 minute stint on the treadmill or bike. I wonder if it will work in the pool? I guess I'll read the manual for that one but I'd guess not.

Well the heart rate monitor works just fine in the pool but I should have got the upgrade with the lap counter! I lost count twice trying to count 22 laps (550 yds) I clocked just under 15 minutes for what may have been anything from 22 to 26 laps. I wasn't pushing that hard just trying to get an idea how fast I need to be. I will keep at it! I then finished my hour swimming at a comfortable pace no idea how many laps. Remember those clicky things they use to count pepole at the theme parks? Where can I get one? Anyone know?

Well the heart rate monitor works just fine in the pool but I should have got the upgrade with the lap counter! I lost count twice trying to count 22 laps (550 yds) I clocked just under 15 minutes for what may have been anything from 22 to 26 laps. I wasn't pushing that hard just trying to get an idea how fast I need to be. I will keep at it! I then finished my hour swimming at a comfortable pace no idea how many laps. Remember those clicky things they use to count pepole at the theme parks? Where can I get one? Anyone know?

If you have a swim shop by ya, they will have lap counters. Call your local YMCA and see if they have a swim team and they can point you in the right directions to a swim store. If not, go to Kiefers.com on line and they'll have what ya need.

15 minutes for a 500 meter swim is pretty good there. If you swim three times a week, you will be able to swim the 500 in under 10 minutes in about a month. Try to mix up your routine though so that you work more of your muscles and you dont get bored from just swimming laps. I use snorkel fins and swim fins, I also practice my butterflys, free style, back stroke. I will do burn outs with the 50 and 100 yard swims. I also practice swimming on the bottom of the pool on one breath.

Thanks ND I have been doing just freestyle but was thinking of buying some training fins. I usually start with the snorkel and my diving fins a couple of weeks before a dive vacation. I add them in figuring I'll be using exactly the same muscles as when diving. The guy's at the gym now know when I'm going away!

consider when your doing weights to target your three biggest muscle groups. Your back, chest and the upper parts of your legs. These are the biggest sets so if their developing, they're requiring more energy (calories) from the body then the smaller groups which provide a defined look. Watch your calorie intake and think in terms of "if it came from the earth, its good for the body" It is your temple, right? I'm not a trainer, but I actively seek info in the field and have even helped in creating a biggest loser contest at work (HOOTERS). Yeah, the girls really need some help. The guys laugh when I'm doing different movements In the minutes I have to spare. But they do seek advice. And facing the American obesity epidemic, I honestly want to do anything I can To help people stay fit. You should see my home gym :wink: I even bought an extra bike to invite anyone I can to ride. Oh yeah, I also don't push it on anyone. Even had regulars come to me for training advice (including a state park lifeguard). I hope you stick with it. Determination is all it really takes....

Back
Top Bottom