Career in Underwater Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.7 over 1/4" - not that anybody's checking....
1/4" = .25 inch add .7 to that and you get .95 inch. I do not think that is what Panasonic means. Three CCD's that big would make one heck of an imaging platform. The cost would be equally large.

Oops, too many zeroes, it's a 1.2mp CCD.
[size=-1][size=-1][size=-1][size=-1][size=-1][size=-1]"The Panasonic PV-GS400 includes three CCDs, each at 1/4.7 in. with 1,070K gross pixels and 700K effective pixels for video." [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][size=-1][size=-1][size=-1][size=-1][size=-1][size=-1]Here is the source, Camcorderinfo.com. I wonder how big each pixel is one such a small chip? [/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

MikeC:
1/4" = .25 inch add .7 to that and you get .95 inch. I do not think that is what Panasonic means. Three CCD's that big would make one heck of an imaging platform. The cost would be equally large.
I did not say for you to add .7 to .25, you did that on your own.

I'm not making myself clear here.

I think they're trying to represent the CCD as .07 bigger than 1/4"

Maybe a competitor makes one with a 1/4" ccd and they wanted to indicate that theirs is fractionally bigger as a marketing ploy.

Or maybe the camcorderinfo.com reviewer mistyped the spec...

Steve

foamer86:
Hello, I am interested in in doing underwater-video as a career. I have been doing topside video for about 3 years now, scuba-diving for about 4, and have done some underwater video shooting. I was wondering if anyone was looking for an underwater video assistant, or something so i can get my fin in the door (yes very cheesy) to do underwater video, or lead me in a direction that I can go in to mix my 2 passions, video and diving. If any one has any advice or would like to find out more about my qualifications please feel free to contact me.

Thank You Very Much In Advance

Craig Grassi

The only real way to make some real money, underwater is commercial diving. Oil rigs or ship repair yards. They do use video u\w to check for damage and repair planning, it also helps to be an underwater welder as well. Tough job though.

f3nikon:
The only real way to make some real money, underwater is commercial diving. Oil rigs or ship repair yards. They do use video u\w to check for damage and repair planning, it also helps to be an underwater welder as well. Tough job though.

Thank You for the advice. I am not expecting to make tons of money or anything, I already realize I will not be making a lot of money going into TV Production, but would love to be able to do underwater video maybe even one project a month and get paid

Thanks

Shooting underwater video is probably a fun way to make extra cash. You don’t have the responsibility of the Dive Master watching out for the tourists. To be successful at it you’d need to be at a pretty cool dive site. I bought the video of the Rhone and the Kona Manta dives. Well worth it. The people that shoot the videos also have to have the ability to quickly edit and deliverer a professional PAL and NTSC DVD or Videos. To make a living at it you would probably need to establish yourself as one of the video production entities in your area. You’ll end up shooting local commercials or news etc.

meekal:
on the SSI SPECS:

ummm... maybe this part should be on the TREAD about editting... but 10 days?
ALL footage (surface and underwater) must be provided to SSI in a digital format within 10 days from the last day of the shoot.

Digital video must be shot using a 520,000-pixel 3-CCD imaging system. WOW! are those specs high or am i just a marooon?
I think SSI wants raw footage. Not editted program.

With regards to whether these standards are very high? SSI will probably invest at least $100,000 in this project so it makes sense for them to record it on the best quality they can. They need the high quality because once it goes through the editing a dubbing process the lower end material will break down. Also they hope the video they shoot will last at least 5 years so they want it to hold up. The type of camera they are talking about is sort of a mid range quality camera. I think they could get by with shooting it on a Panasonic VX 100A or a Sony PD 170. Both cameras have 3 1/3” CCD at around 400K pixels. They shot open water on this type of camera.

I find it interesting that SSI does not believe a single chip CCD can produce worthwhile video. I shoot with a Sony TRV-17, but have shot with TRV900's and TRV950's as well. I find the video quality comparable underwater (although not topside).

Many people have viewed my footage (mostly taken with the TRV-17) and thought it was outstanding. I've seen stuff shot with a VHX1000 that I thought was much poorer in quality. I think camera and lighting skills play a bigger part than single or 3-CCD design underwater.

Just my not-so-humble opinion!

Dr. Bill

I spent most of last year in Cairns, Australia, making underwater videos of dive students, teaching underwater photography and renting digital cameras. I went there as a newly qualified dive instructor, couldn't get a job as a dive instructor (wrong time of year) and ended up being hired as a trainee video/photo pro. I had never used a video camera on the surface, let alone under the water. After three weeks of practising with the camera and shadowing the company's other videographers, I started making and selling souvenir videos.

So, you don't necessarily need a whole lot of experience to be an underwater videographer. You need to be somewhere where there's a market for underwater videos and you need to be able to live/work there. You need good people skills to get your customers to (1) perform for the camera and (2) buy the video afterwards, and also (3) to persuade the crew to help you out. You need to be self-reliant, confident and quick with your dive gear, and good with your buoyancy (you'll get much, much better). You need to be fit, because there's a lot of zooming round the ocean trying to get to the next shot. You need to be able to edit in-camera, because even if you're going to edit the footage afterwards (we didn't), you can save a lot of time by getting it nearly right the first time. You need to be able to adapt when the whole thing goes horribly wrong (because it will).

Most of all, you need to be able to live simply. As in cheaply. In a good week, I made about as much as a dive instructor... and that's not a whole lot. In a bad week, I made a lot less. I had a wonderful time, learnt a lot and will remember it for the rest of my life... but the overall impact on my bank balance was, hmm.... negative. If I look at it as a nine-month holiday with some work thrown in to offset the costs, it was good value. If I look at it as a job... ouch.

So, it isn't hard to be a videographer, you just need to be in the right place with the right skills. Making a career out of it is another story.

Z

I would like to know where you are located. I may be looking for someone to help me shoot some small things. A partner and I are putting together a few projects and due to the volume of work, I doubt I will be able to do all the shooting myself.

Send me an email, tell me a little about yourself, and we'll go from there.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom