Caribbean Dive Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do I ever...ScubaFun...Tell John I sent you (he will either treat you great or throw you out) :D He has the best boats on the island and he runs a very safe, fun operation.

Hardcore "caribbean" divers? You are [-]screwed[/-] limited. But not a problem!

If you really want to have dive vacations as opposed to vacations with some diving then you need to adjust your expectations to match your desires.

During our early years we went anywhere our scuba travel agent gave us reasonable deals ($$$). This gave us some of the destination I listed above. All great destinations at that point in our dive evolution.

As we matured, our travel agent started to say NO and much more narrowed our focus. They eventually said NO to most places based upon our diving habits: we became dive weenies.

I suggest you firm u your travel desires so we can respond appropriately.

Cheers...

Dhboner, I've never heard anything very good said about diving in DR. I even know a fellow who works there as an instructor in the winter months. That said, not sure of his location on the island, regardless, he was definitely not encouraging.

Please tell me what other Caribbean dive destinations to which you compare your DR experience. TIA

Limited is actually a good description.
Just started diving about a year ago. Now 60 years old. Because of some physical limitations, valet style diving is appealing.
Living in Chicago, there are not many nearby diving options. So my skills and comfort level will always be limited compared to those with hundreds of dives.
Our first trip (Bonaire) was a local dive shop organized trip. I don't know if my experience was much different from others but the gap between my OW certification dive and this huge. Just setting up my gear was not exactly second nature. The group jumped in and took off. I found myself at 80+ feet and anxiously watching my air supply drain down. We now have about 30 dives but it's all still so new.
So, you are correct that I've set some clear limits.
1. Most likely one dive trip per year (aside from one trip to Catalina or Channel Islands as our daughter lives in LA.
2. A great dive operator who will be understanding and helpful and not feel that we shouldn't need help.
3. A warm place to get away from the Chicago WINTER weather.
4. Ideally, I'd like to see a few of the islands but am not opposed to finding a regular place to go.
Hope that helps.
Thanks!

Ambergris Caye Belize. Dive with Amigos del Mar. They'll pick you up at your dock (assuming you don't stsy too far north on the island) and drop you off again at the end of the day. When you first arrive for your first dive, you give them your gear and that's it. They take care of everything for you right up until you pick up yourfresh rinsed gear at the end of your trip.

Myself, I stay stay at a condotel right in front of their shop, so I just roll out of bed in the morning, stroll down the dock and step into the boat. My gear is all there setup for me, my wetsuit waiting on the boat.

This suits me to a T but my chosen hotel is right in the middle of town and not for those that prefer a more quiet and pretty ambiance, which is why I tell you that you'll be picked up and dropped off if you stay farther from the shop.

...Just started diving about a year ago. Now 60 years old. Because of some physical limitations, valet style diving is appealing. Living in Chicago, there are not many nearby diving options. So my skills and comfort level will always be limited compared to those with hundreds of dives. Our first trip (Bonaire) was a local dive shop organized trip. I don't know if my experience was much different from others but the gap between my OW certification dive and this huge. Just setting up my gear was not exactly second nature. The group jumped in and took off. I found myself at 80+ feet and anxiously watching my air supply drain down. We now have about 30 dives but it's all still so new. So, you are correct that I've set some clear limits.
1. Most likely one dive trip per year (aside from one trip to Catalina or Channel Islands as our daughter lives in LA.
2. A great dive operator who will be understanding and helpful and not feel that we shouldn't need help.
3. A warm place to get away from the Chicago WINTER weather.
4. Ideally, I'd like to see a few of the islands but am not opposed to finding a regular place to go.
Hope that helps.
Thanks!

We are also in our 60s and live in Chicago. We have been doing warm water dive vacations for a long time but now we only do one dive vacation a year. I think that you would really enjoy the valet diving of Reef Divers Dive Operation at the Brac Reef Beach Resort (BRBR) or the Little Cayman Beach Resort (LCBR) that I mentioned in an earlier post. We have some physical limitations and we really appreciate that the valet diving is a normal part of the service. Not only do they do all the heavy equipment handling but they carry your gear to the back of the boat, help you get into it so you just have to stand up and do a giant stride and that is great for us.

During the dive you have the option to stay with the divemaster or go off on your own, whatever is comfortable for you. Both of these all-inclusive resorts are small and diver-dedicated and the food is great. The rooms and facilities are clean and comfortable. They have a tennis court, a coin op laundry, and a small spa too.

We like to spend 2 weeks in the Caymans. The first week on Grand Cayman (GC) relaxing and enjoying the amenities. From Chicago you will have to fly to GC anyway so why not take at least a few days to enjoy it? There is good diving off GC but we prefer the reefs of the sister islands so we mostly snorkel and do some shores dives when we are on GC.

Cayman Brac (CB) and Little Cayman (LC) are small and rural and very different from Grand Cayman so you can enjoy the different vacation experiences. But all 3 Cayman islands are clean and safe so you can drink the water and eat the food without concern and the local people are friendly. They also do a good job on mosquito abatement and have much lower rates of dengue and chikungunya than some of the other Caribbean islands and no problem with malaria.

The Bloody Bay Wall (BBW) off LC is some of the best diving in the Caribbean IMO; but there are good reefs and a sunken Russian Frigate off of CB that makes for a nice, easy, fun wreck dive.

CB and LC are both lovely spots but LC is more expensive and books up fast because of the attraction of the BBW. CB is cheaper, less crowded, and there is a bit more to do topside. The Caymans are an expensive destination but I think that the all-inclusive packages at the LCBR and BRBR are quite reasonable and they include almost everything: accommodations, food, diving, transfers, taxes, and tips. You just have to pay extra for liquor and tips for the dive op; and if you can book a "special" it can be a real bargain IMO, especially at BRBR.

When are you planning to go? You mentioned winter which is the high season all over the Caribbean. LCBR books up pretty quickly although they do get cancellations. If you don't get to visit the Cayman sister islands this time you may want to consider a trip for the future.

You should also consider your preferences for water temps. In the winter months the waters in the Caymans are very warm as compared to Chicago, but not as warm as the far southern part of the Caribbean, like Curacao and Bonaire. Good luck!

Last edited:
Catalina and the Channel Islands are cold water diving all year round. 6Oo is about average. And sometimes it gets cold..:rofl3: That means at least full 7mm. wetsuits - often layered. So it can be pretty hard to move around - especially in a rental that may not fit great.

Also boat operators in SoCal have different priorities - they generally assume you're able to handle your gear by yourselves and unless you specifically pay extra for a private DM/guide, the one that is provided stays on the boat in almost every case - they don't lead dives, most don't even get wet unless there's an emergency. A lot of SoCal divers use them as "taxi's" to get to the better sites - some bring their own tanks on board. It's not a given that the boats will provide tanks/weights so check if you book with someone.

The Kelp - which is really the reason to dive there - is either a very long surface swim from shore or a short boat ride. Except for Catalina but the Kelp there is currently all gone. In the Kelp, about the only thing you don't want to do is surface while in it - it's very easy to get tangled up requiring someone else to help you extricate yourself. The boat is going to stay in clear water nearby and can't come in to help you without fouling a prop and likely getting stuck also. It is pretty spectacular though in the sunlight and the amount of things living in it. A buddy has even seen a Blue Whale resting there once - all 40' off it.

Just a different reality than Bonaire or Roatan.

One other consideration for winter Caribbean diving is that's often when rougher weather impacts diving. Especially on the north sides of the islands. One example of this is Grand Cayman, some operators don't even try the North Wall unless it's unusually calm - they generally move boats west or south and shuttle you to them. A buddy spent a week there trying to dive one site (Babylon) around the first of Jan. The first tow days were blown out, the next day the captain decided boarding would be too rough, the following day was almost flat calm so they were able to dive it. The next day they were driving along the road that parallels the site and could see breakers hitting the beach hard nearby. I don't know but I suspect Little Cayman/Brac are similarly affected. So it might be good to select locations with multiple dive options around the island.

We've decided to go to Utopia Village in Utila. We liked the idea that it's a smaller dive resort where people seem to get to know one another by the end of the trip. Appears to offer valet style service. Wonder if anyone else has been there?

Back
Top Bottom