Caribbean earthquake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A Dive Instructor at Cobalt Coast Reef Divers on Grand Cayman was diving Sandhole when the quake struck yesterday, here is his account of the frightening experience. The article also mentions that lots of jellyfish washed up on the beach after the quake.

Tales of the quake: Sinkholes, jellyfish and diving | Cayman Compass

"...Lee Bush, a dive instructor and boat captain at Reef Divers, was 40 feet underwater when he experienced his first earthquake in Cayman. He and three other divers were at Sandhole Reef when it struck.

Lee-Bush-Reef-Divers-diving-instructor-and-boat-captain-2160x1440.jpg

Lee Bush, dive instructor at Reef Divers, describes experiencing the earthquake while diving during the earthquake. – Photo: Carolina Lopez

“It felt very much like a boat that was coming close to you because when you’re underwater you can hear boats and the noise was getting louder to the point where we almost thought the boat was on top of you,” he said. “But, obviously, it wasn’t, because there wasn’t a boat, but it was just very unnatural, very unnerving. At this point, you can feel your heart beating almost out of your chest.”

Lee Bush said the rumble he felt go through his body built up for about 25 seconds.

“It started off really slowly, it’s like a great crescendo. At that point, all the fish from the top of the reef just came straight off the wall and down, and just behind that, it looked like all the sand was coming off as well,” he said.

He added that the visibility in front of him went from about 100 feet to just three or four feet.

“It looked like fog rolling over mountains, the sand just came through everything and then it just literally covered everything,” he said. “In 10 years of diving, I’ve never experienced anything like that whatsoever. Never seen fish behaviour like that, never seen the way the sand moved like that, and never felt that real deep rumble before.”

And here's an article about the Cayman Sister Islands during the Earthquake, apparently their last large quake was in 2004. It includes a report from another diver that was underwater when it struck and she also thought that it was a boat "the biggest boat ever" coming at them. They dived down to try and avoid the boat and she felt pressure in her ears and couldn't clear.

At least Brac has high ground if they ever get hit with a Tsunami (hopefully not!) but Grand Cayman and Little Cayman are pretty flat.

https://www.caymancompass.com/2020/01/29/tales-of-the-quake-sister-islands-shaken/

Did the Kittiwake shift or move ?

One of our boats were diving the Kittiwake when it happened. They had no idea it had even occurred. They found out when they saw all of the messages on our Divetech WhatsApp chat. The crew and divers on the boat though we were all drastically embellishing our stories about the severity.

I was sitting in the office when it occurred, and I watched the walls move. Divetech's owner, who has never once in her life been seasick, was beside me when it happened and said she had become nauseous - her brain couldn't process what was occurring. Lots of our hearty staff reported similar feelings of nausea. My little 10 lb rescue dog, who is the most chill animal in the world, leaped to his feet, and began running in circles.

Other divers reported the same as Lee did - that they saw the reef move, felt a vibration through their bodies, and saw the vis drop. Divers on the north wall reported seeing chunks of the wall fall down.

We've heard all kinds of interesting stories from friends around the island. One major hotel had most its workers flee for home, leaving one single chef, one waitress and one desk clerk to work serving hundreds of guests. That must have been fun.

Today, it's all back to normal. There's a few work crews here and there digging up pipes. They have been systematically shutting off water to isolate leaks, but other than that, it is business as usual.

My own house, has a new crack in the living room tile, that runs across the floor, but other than that, no other damage.

Tony

The description by the reef diver dm of experiencing the quake under water on a dive was on of the most interesting dive story I have read.

The description by the reef diver dm of experiencing the quake under water on a dive was on of the most interesting dive story I have read.

I agree! It would be hard to know what was happening and to figure out what you should do. I've seen 2 interviews with divers that initially thought that a large boat was passing overhead. That would make me want to go down, but in an earthquake you should probably try to get out of the water as soon as is safe, in case of aftershocks and tsunami waves?

Here's another cartoon, at least the locals have kept their sense of humor during this experience! I am glad that the damage appears to have been minimal throughout the Caribbean and the worst seems to be over.

surf-shop.jpg

Some of the local DMs were also in the water for the previous serious earthquake several years ago. Had the same experience. Guess it is common under those uncommon circumstances.

I read that Little Cayman Beach Resort evacuated the resort for a short time after the quake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom