Caribe Blu update.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bcaderunr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just returned from a Dec. 10-17 stay at Caribe Blu, diving with Blue Angel. This was my 8th stay there in the past 4 years. Early on, I had the opportunity to meet and speak with Robert and Eva, the Canadian couple in their 40's who purchased the property. Eva's sister owns the Remax agency in Cozumel, so they are familiar with Coz and have visited the island many times previously. Both are relatively new to diving. Eva said that they are dedicated to upgrading the property (details later) without changing the basic character of the place. I don't believe that either wants to make any drastic alterations which would cause the existing loyal clientele to consider staying anyplace else. Both were very forthcoming to all my questions and are without a doubt genuinely nice, down-to-earth, hard working folks. Robert, in particular, is supervising every aspect of the construction in a totally hands-on manner and was there at least 12 hours a day, every day, during my stay.

What's been done so far:

Restaurant: Has been expanded out toward the water by 10 feet and toward the hotel by 5 feet (rough guesses). Although it may not sound like much it is noticeably larger and more functional. The old wooden tables have been replaced by more functional (and moveable) plastic ones. The old stairway from the sidewalk is gone. A new stairway rises over the walkway between the hotel/dive shop from the first floor landing to the restaurant. Everything is wood and it looks great! They were staining when I left.

Lobby: As noted by others, the reception desk is opposite from where it was and is now enclosed. The hotel lobby is full of nice metal/glass tables and chairs. You can have meals served there or bring your own as before. Coffee is FREE in either the lobby area or at the restaurant (if you can't find it in the lobby).

Rooms: All have mini-fridges which come stocked with a "starter kit" of beer and soda available for $1.50 and $1.00 respectively. You may ask to have these items removed if you wish to provide your own foodstuffs during your stay (which I did). Otherwise, if you take any items, they will be replaced the next day and your room will be charged. Hey, it was nice to have a cold one waiting upon check-in! New, quieter, air-conditioners have been relocated to a more "inside" location in each room.

Policies: No more beach towel cards. Honor system in place. Morning dive boats now leave at 8:00am. As a result, we were first boat on the reefs every day!

Coming soon: Expanded dock, doubling the length toward the south and connecting that end back to the main concrete wall, so it's an upside down "U" as you look toward the water.
Solar hot water. Robert estimates that he can get 85-90% of the water heated with the system. Also rain water recovery for irrigating the grounds. The roof was being modified to make this a reality. He also mentioned photo-voltaic panels as a potential option at a later date to supplement the electrical system. I asked about a jacuzzi/hot tub and was told that there are no plans for one.
Raising the garden area between the pool and the hotel to pool level. This was Eva's idea. Once completed, it will be an nice oasis of quiet with a view of the Caribbean.
Improve the shore entry area to make it more sandy and beachlike with stairs cut into the existing wall/reef for diver access.
Rehabilitate the house reef. They both want to make it the best shore dive in Cozumel. A new shower and rinse tank will be added out by the dock.
More use of tile in the Lobby area and the individual rooms. Originally all the bathrooms had nice tile finishes. They want to return them to their former glory.

In summary, it was with great relief that I saw all the usual smiling faces of the regular employees who I've become acquainted with during past visits. Every one who I spoke with seemed genuinely happy with the new ownership and the changes being made to our beloved CB. On our first day, I saw Alejandra in the Lobby area, so it's obvious that the changeover is being done in a cooperative manner. So, for all you CB fans out there, breathe a sigh of relief and start planning your next visit. It's all good.

Disclaimer: These are my recollections as best I could reconstruct them. As with any renovation, plans may change. Robert and Eva seemed very open to feedback, so don't be shy about passing along your thoughts to them through Jeannie at:
bluangel@fidmail.com

Thanks -- heading there in a couple of weeks and I noticed that our morning dives were leaving at 8am vs what I recall from other discussions was typically 8:30 -- it was nice to have your post explain the difference.

Coffee is FREE in either the lobby area or at the restaurant (if you can't find it in the lobby).

Saves me $8.00 per day!!!! :D

Thanks for the update!

Thanks for this. I'll be diving with them in about a week. Nice to hear about the rehab plans for the shore dive. Sounds like they are doing many good things that will make this an even more desirable place, provided prices don't get too high.

I once stayed at a place owned by the new owner's sister and they were the listing agent for the place I just bought. I'll reserve judgement of new owners for now!

I have a reservation (with deposit) at Caribe Blu for 4/4/09 to 4/11/09 that was made on 9/1/08.

I got confirmation from Jeannie... I understand she is still there but I wonder if I need to make further contact with them.

Is it true that Pedro and Eyal are selling Villas Las Anclas?
We stayed there in '06 and had a great time... that place will not be the same without them.

Jeannie is still there. I just booked an afternoon dive for December 29th. (In Akumal so this is just a day excursion although I love Carbe Blu and Blue Angel and have been there 4 times for extended stays. Looking forward to seeing the changes. Afternoon dives have also been moved up from 1:30 to 1:00.

thanks for the update, can't wait to see it for myself...c'mon April!!! :wink:

Thanks for the report - stayed there many times; only complaint was water pressure in the shower on the 3rd and 4th floors (so I stayed on the 1st or the 2nd floor; problem solved)

Nice to hear about the changes; they sound positive - Caribe Blue and Blu Angel are my favorite operators in Cozumel.

Also glad to see they were smart to retain Jeanie, who is excellent.

Any pictures of whats been done so far?????

Anyone have some pictures of the newly remodeled areas at Caribe Blu/Blue Angel?

I am very interested in seeing the "new stuff" everyone says they are doing!

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom