Carl Gage Scuba Centre, Key Largo--Who Remembers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just finished reading Kendall Macdonalds book called `The Underwater Book`. It was first published in the late sixties/early seventies.

One contributor writes about a trip out of Key Largo on the wreck of the Benwood using a dive centre operated by a man called Carl Gage, who was quite well know in those days.

Any old bold Floridian divers know of this man and what happened to his dive operation ? :icon_ques

SteveL:
Just finished reading Kendall Macdonalds book called `The Underwater Book`. It was first published in the late sixties/early seventies.

One contributor writes about a trip out of Key Largo on the wreck of the Benwood using a dive centre operated by a man called Carl Gage, who was quite well know in those days.

Any old bold Floridian divers know of this man and what happened to his dive operation ? :icon_ques

I went out with Carl's operation a few times in the early 70's. Quiescence Diving bought and occupies the facility, http://www.keylargodiving.com/. I think it was called Key Largo Diving Headquarters. Carl was a colorful local character. I recall he even had "Dive Instructor" in large letters down the arms of his wetsuit. There were lots of characters in the diving business in those days. That is before a lot of the businessmen moved into diving.

I got my NAUI certification at Carl Gage's dive shop in Key Largo in 1974 and then began working for Carl. He was an interesting guy and guess I'd call him a "Man's Man". If I recall, he was ex-marines or some branch of the service and kept his head shaved. He was physically fit and I think he must have been about 45 (?) at the time. He had a deep voice and really barked the orders out when he wanted things done. He had two good sized wooden boats that he took out for reef dive trips - one was called the "Reef Queen" and I don't recall the name of the other. He kept them both backed into the end of the canal that comes in on the ocean side of US1 right next to the Holiday Inn in Key Largo, and butts up against US1. I was a helper or first mate on the daily trips that went out. Even though I didn't make much money then, it was probably my favorite job to date since I got to do so much diving. I used to keep my dive knife strapped to my leg and Carl use to call me "Hero", because of this. I was diving with him one day and he was pointing out a large Puffer fish under a ledge. He bounced it out like a basketball but made the mistake of getting his thumb into the fish's mouth. The fish chomped down and I remember seeing the blood ooze out - it was green due to the lighting underwater, which really looked strange. He was yelling and cussing underwater but soon got over it. I remember a young divemaster by the name of Larry that got his captain's license and piloted the boat out for Carl frequently. I have lots of great memories of this - if anyone else remembers Carl or is from that era, let's hear about it!

I just finished watching Fool's Gold w/Matthew McConaughey. Movie about scuba and sunken treasure thought how alike the character Moe is like Mel Fisher. Read how Rick Gage is killed with Mel's son and daughter-in-law. I wondered if he is any relation to Carl Gage of Carl Gage Dive Centre.
I learned to scuba dive on the Reef Queen when our "Ecology of a Coral Reef" course from Concordia College, Bronxville, NY used it for the month of January in 1973. Everyday that month we filled our tanks at Carl Gage Dive Centre. He had an underwater propulsion machine hanging from the ceiling of the shop alegedly used in a 007 movie. We took the NAUI test in a classroom at John Pennycamp State Park
We dove the 90 foot deep Benwood Wreck. One day the sea was so calm you could see the bottom...We watched schools of sea turtles and rays in 1 inch seas.
We swam with Dolly the bottle-nosed dolphin at some training pen off RT 1.
I revisited Key Largo a year ago and couldn't find the dive shop...What happened to him? I do remember Quencence Dive Shop now that you mention it. Thanks!

With an Ocean Operator's license, I got a job with Carl Gage driving the Reef Queen long time ago, maybe 1973/4? The boat was 65' and we held 42 tanks as I recall. We typically drove out into Pennycamp and first did a bouyancy check where you could snorkle around while the others were checking their bouyancy and then we did two tank dives. I had been certified NAUI as a research diver by Brian Riley and Tom Mount in 1971. Brian worked under Tom Mount at the University of Miami. I think Carl favored NAUI and sent me to NAUI training somewhere in Pennsylvania to get my instructor certificate but I didn't receive it. Carl was a tough character, described well by KarlB above. He protected the reefs by always making sure we dropped anchor in the white sandy areas. He would sometimes stand over me (so to speak because Carl was rather short) as I drove the Reef Queen and if I went off course by more than 2 or 3 degrees, he'd bark at me. One day after he did that and I had it with Carl, I got up the courage to say to him: "You're the meanest son-of-a-bitch I've ever met". I thought Carl might fire me on the spot but instead he got a big smile on his face and I think we became a little closer instead as a result. Carl was a consultant to the movie "The Deep" with Jaqueline Bisset. If you're an old diver who saw that move, you will undoubtedly remember her diving in her T shirt! You can Google "Jaqueline Bisset The Deep pics". I wonder if Carl had anything to do with that!

Note: As a single guy driving the Reef Queen and living in a small trailer on the bay side of Key Largo, it was a good life especially with the young ladies that came on the dive boat who seemed to like the lure of and maybe the challenge to be with the Captain. Unfortunately the job only lasted a few months but I moved on. Good memories.

Hello All,
This is my first post and I found this board during an internet search for Carl Gage. I worked for Carl in 1970 and 1971. When I worked for Carl, his boats were the Reef Queen and the Henrietta. The boats moved to the new canal along US1 by the Holiday Inn when I worked for Carl. I installed the first wooden strips on the mooring posts where we always tied up.

It is always music that reminds you of a certain time in your life and Elton Johm was just coming on the scene with "Your Song", his first hit. I remember being at the dock when that song was playing on the radio. What an experience! It was truly a dream come true. The job was hard work, lomg hours, very little pay but the experience of a lifetime for a young, single adventurous guy. My water skills became so advanced that, as I look back, I am amazed that I actually did all those things nearly every day.

Some of the experiences I had were so incredible that I don't know if they would be believable to someone who does not know me. Just writing this takes me back, way back, to one of the best times of my life. Can we post photos on this board? I have some real oldies. But they are color.

I still have some Carl Gage Dive Center T shirts now forty years old. My God, forty years. Now that is really incredible. Where has all the time gone?

I have been back to Key largo and the old shop a few times over the years and in 1997 I actually saw Carl in Key Largo. We bumped into each other nearr the old shop. I was shocked to see him and he looked like he had not aged a single day in those 27 years. Carl was all Marine and achieved the rank of Major.

I wish I could remember absolutely every minute I spent as an employee and dive guide for Carl Gage, one of the most memorable people of my life.

Sincerely,
PhotoRick

EDIT: Mitzi, the underwater propulsion device was an orange two-man wet-sub that was used in the movie "Thunderball". Carl designed a number of underwater scooters and other similar devices. Carl was "The Man" among Key Largo divers back in those days.

Another Key Largo dive character was Steve Klem. Have any of you ever met Steve? What a guy. I still have a VHS video he made years after I worked for Carl. I bought it on one of my return trips to Key Largo. It's a keeper for sure.

So, does anyone know if Carl Gage is still of this earth?

If he is, he must be at least 80 years of age, maybe 85. I would not be a bit surprised if he looks just like did back in 1970 and 71. He was that kind of guy. There was always something supernatural about Carl Gage.

He used to wear a t shirt with the Marine crest on the front. It was printed in reverse on the back of the shirt to symbolize that it went all the way through. For Carl it REALLY did.

Sincerely,
PhotoRick

Carl Gage was like a father to me when I was growing up in Orange County California (1979 -- 1992).. I worked for him for several years from the time I was about 14 until I went to College.. I ran the ground crew for his Hot Air Balloon Business in Costa Mesa (umong other things).. He taught me to drive a car, SCUBA dive and fly hot air balloons too. I sold almost ALL of the old dive gear from his dive shop in FL back in 1981 for him.. When I was at Santa Anna College, and later Cal State Fullerton (studying classical music) Carl would always come to watch my performances etc (he was a great singer too believe it or not!)..

Carl and I shared so many adventures together diving and flying hot air balloons; I could write a book! He was a US Marine; ALWAYS!!

I had dinner with Carl at Costa Mesa CA, in 1992 just before I moved down to Sydney, Australia. I lost close contact with Carl after that.. But I always kept track of him -- he moved to Oceano, and managed the local airport there later in the 1990's.. Sadly, Carl died in 2002.

Carl Gage; 30 August 1935 -- 5 February 2002
Sport & Professional balloonist.
Major – US Marines
Univ. of Miami (FL) 1960.
Balloon builder, Costa Mesa, CA.
Professional Scuba diver.
Airport Manager, Oceano, CA.
Licensed Airplane and Balloon pilot.

I'll always remember and miss him! I have some great photos of him if anybody would like copies I'd be most happy to share them you.. Just send me an email.. I'd love to see your photos of Carl and hear your stories too!

Hello Mhogan,
It was very nice to read your post and I am sorry to read that Carl has passed. I can imagine that his barotone voice could be an excellent singing voice as well. Gosh, he has been gone eight years now. I am so happy that I was able to see him again in 1997. He is definitely one of the most memorable people in my life.

What about Ruthie? I remember her too.

I also remember that Carl flew and manufactured hot air balloons. In fact, he had at least one commercial sewing machine at the dive shop that had some kind of use for hot air balloons.

And, yes, I would certainly love to have any photos you would like to share.

I hope you do write a book about Carl. Please let me buy the first one.

Yes, there were lots of colourfull characters back in those "hairy" days of recreational scuba. I never met Carl sadly, but his name was known far and wide, especially in the Keys area.

Another interesting character was of course Spencer Slate, who I did know and dived quite often with him and then down in Key West we had Billy Deans who I also knew fairly well and did many a deep dive with him and some of his crew.

I often think about them, and what they are doing now, they were the real pioneers of the industry I guess and very colourfull characters to boot, but diving was a little differant back then as well.:D

Sorry for going off on a tangent there, but I just got to reminiscing and then.........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom