Carnival Splendor - Jan 3-8. Possible Jamaica and Grand Cayman Dives - Help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ramon Corrêa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

My father and I will be doing this cruise and are considering diving in Jamaica (Montago Bay) and Grand Cayman. I'm trying to determine if Jamaica will be a worthwhile dive, and also I'm trying to determine what the recommended ops for either of these locations would be.

I'm hoping that you guys would be willing/able to help me out?

I'm on a cruise in March and looked into both destinations. Diving in Jamaica is reportedly not as good as Grand Cayman (I've been to neither thus far). There are a number of ops in Grand Cayman recommended here. I have a trip scheduled with Off The Wall Divers, who were the recommended op most willing to accommodate the cruise ship shore window.

Cayman will definitely be the better of the two dives - Jamaica was allowed to be fished out years ago - although it's gotten better lately from what I've read - no personal exp. there.

On Cayman the Carnival cruise operator is Don Foster's. Every shop does a DM per 6-8 divers but some of the other operators are 6-8 max per boat. I counted about 20 divers off a Foster's boat once - moored at the same site - our DM said "watch this"...

Other cruise operations in the area are several at Lobster Pot restaurant dock (it probably has another name), Off the Wall, Wall to Wall and Deep Blue all have boats there. My pick would be Wall to Wall but I know the owner. Divers Down is another option with a cruise program also. All are walkable from the pier - Lobster Pot is to the north.

Eden Rock was a shore dive 500' from the cruise dock (south) but a container ship just scraped 150' or so of the reef clean and collapsed some of the caverns - IDK if they're even allowing divers there now due to safety concerns. The silversides on their webpage are only there in summer. Devils Grotto a few hundred yards south was untouched though afaik. IMO you could do better on a boat since they'll take you wall diving.

If you have the better part of a day, Turtle Reef is an option for shorediving also - maybe the best. If you do, dive south - there's a tarpon cave in 40' a short swim down the mini-wall.

Probably a 30-45min. cab ride each way. Sundivers is on-site there and post dive there's the Macabuca Tiki bar for lunch. Their site is probably about the only with contact info for Ollen at Sundivers since they share the building - http://www.crackedconch.com.ky/macabuca/ Allow for time for a cab to get there on your return also - it's mostly the only reason people go to that area - tourbuses go to other nearby attractions.

Just an fyi, Cayman is a tender port. And there can be up to 5-6 ships moored daily. I'd line up early although some of the tenders take over 200 or so. Cruise dive operations have it factored in - non-cruise dive boats leave between 8-9AM since they like to do 2 dives b4 lunch - some have a 1PM afternoon trip they need the boat for.

Last edited:
Thank you, everyone. I think we have settled on spending time with the family in Jamaica and only diving in Grand Cayman. We want to make the most of our time there, so what would be the recommended path to take as far as a diving excursion? I see that @diversteve mentioned shorediving... But I'm assuming that boat diving is best? thoughts?

see my reply in your other thread.

I just did the same cruise in November on the Splendor. We made the most of our dives! So, we booked with the cruise operator, Diver Down, for our boat dives, Wall dive and Kittawake Wreck. Afterward, we did a shore dive from their dock, The Wreck of Cali. Our shore dive cost $15 and our boat dives was $129. We did 3 dives in Grand Cayman and made it to the tender line by 3pm. For non-diver, they can snorkel around the dock or shop.

Attachments

• IMG_1701.JPG
    IMG_1701.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1506.JPG
    IMG_1506.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1700.JPG
    IMG_1700.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 147
If funds and time are not a concern I would dive both.
However:
I would stick to booking through the cruise line because they guarantee not to leave without you that way.

Don't risk a flat tire or boat engine problem ruining the rest of your cruise.

I have used Lobster Pot Divers at GC, a very easy 5-7 minute walk north of the tender pier and they are a very good op. They are co-located with two other dive ops (Deep Blue and Wall to Wall), both of which also get good reviews, so one of them might be able to handle your cruise port schedule. As was mentioned earlier, Don Foster's is the ship's dive op, and have found them also to be very good. Don Foster's boats are larger, and have more people on board, but they break the groups into 6-8 divers, and they also try to group by experience. I have never had a bad dive with them or Lobster Pot so can recommend both. One advantage to the ship's dive op is that you do not have to fight your way through the tender line to get to shore, and you won't have to worry about missing the boat if you are cutting it close.

Everyone, thank you very much for prompt and thorough responses. My buddy and I have contacted LP and are going to be diving with them. I'm very excited to do so, as I have not dived in GC yet.

We will not be diving in Jamaica, but will, instead, be spending the time with the rest of the family who will be on the cruise with us.

Back
Top Bottom