Carry On Cutting Tool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kablooey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm assembling a set of gear that fits in a carry-on bag for air travel. No carry on luggage.
Any suggestions for a cutting tool that will pass airport security?

I already have a pair of EMT scissors with 2" blades, which are ok if I'm reading FAA regs correctly. Has anyone had any trouble getting such an item through?

TSA may allow them but I bet they will not get to leave MEX.

Just for fun, you could put your cutting device, all by itself, in a very old, full sized suitcase.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been hit or miss with sharp things in my carry on the last 5 years. Full knife flew fine but I've also had a disposable razor seized.

Last year I started carrying a sheath and buying a dollar kitchen knife wherever I touch down that fits. A second one with the blade and handle snapped off short goes in my wrist band.

. . . Results may vary.

I'm guessing a line-cutter will pass TSA since it has a sheathed hooked blade. Innovative Scuba Razor Line Cutter w/ Sheath I have no experience doing so however.

I'd also think they're more likely to take the Hollis or OMS models since they have no sheathing around the blade and a nasty looking open hook on the end. Just IMO.

compact%20line%20cutter-185x185.jpg

Luck of the draw. I once forget I had a knife attached to my harness in my carry on. They pulled out the ss plate but never mentioned the knife through 3 airports. Would never try that on purpose

I've had an eezycut knife go through by accident. Velcro got caught on webbing. Realized after I got to my destination. Nothing said. But I would not do this on purpose.

Thank you everybody for your thoughtful and helpful responses.

K

I think they would take the extra blades for sure - and possibly the whole thing since with a phillips screwdriver you could expose a blade fairly easily by breaking off one of the guards (IDK how difficult that is....) I think it would also be a question of them recognizing what it is in the x-ray. Remember that it was thought that some of the 9/11 hijackers used box-cutters as weapons.

Capture.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom