"carry on" sized packpack that will accommodate full-sized fins (23.5")

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SouthSideScubaSteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm preparing for my first Live-aboard trip on Blackbeards in late February and want to "carry-on" my regs, mask, computers and fins, but my fins are 23.5" long and my largest roll-aboard bag is 21.5" internally. As I see it, that leaves me two choices; spend roughly $100 for a new set of fins for travel use (that will fit in my roll-aboard), or find a back-pack style caryy-on bag that can accomidate my fins. Sicne I'm traveling to Europe 4-5x/year for work these days, a large carry-on sized back-pack would have the benifit of being able to make those trips easier as well ....

Anyone have any reccomendations for back-packs they've used with full sized fins (or suggestions of packs to avoid like the plauge)?

Thanks in advance for your help!
SSSSteve

The new international carry-on size limits are 22x14x9. It doesn't matter if it rolls or is a backpack.
You might squeek by on the "45 linear inches" rule with fins that are 24' long, say 7'' thick, and say 12" wide, thus 43 linear inches.
But I wouldn't count on it.
You need new fins, you may need a new bag, and you need to rethink your European plans.

The new international carry-on size limits are 22x14x9. It doesn't matter if it rolls or is a backpack.
You might squeek by on the "45 linear inches" rule with fins that are 24' long, say 7'' thick, and say 12" wide, thus 43 linear inches.
But I wouldn't count on it.
You need new fins, you may need a new bag, and you need to rethink your European plans.

That's exactly what I was thinking .... I've seen a number of long, narrow backpacks on my last two trips to Europe!!

That's exactly what I was thinking .... I've seen a number of long, narrow backpacks on my last two trips to Europe!!

But why bother? There isn't enough room left in a bag like that for clothes and incidentals. You'd need to pack and check a bag anyway. So just check your fins.

Remember that you maximize the volume in a container by soemthing that is ideally a sphere...or more practically a square box, not a long thin tube.

Reactions: Doc
Except you can't if you find a gate agent whose following their published rules since it has to fit fully within the cage. Otherwise something like a flat rifle case would theoretically fall within the dimensional sizing guidelines. It's not UPS.

To determine if a bag will fit onboard, bag sizers will be available in the airport lobby.

baggage-sizer-bsco-render-thumb.jpg

They're going to sell a lot less Dive Caddy's now also since that's how they worked - by "bending" the rules...and the fin-tips.

AERIS : Accel Fin is an option.

But why bother? There isn't enough room left in a bag like that for clothes and incidentals. You'd need to pack and check a bag anyway. So just check your fins.

Remember that you maximize the volume in a container by soemthing that is ideally a sphere...or more practically a square box, not a long thin tube.

I'm trying to not check my fins because that's one thing I can't rent if my checked bag gets lost .....

As for clothes: 2 swimsuits, 3 teeshirts, 2 pair of shorts, a pair of sweatpants and raingear dont take up much space! (it's Blackbeards!)

---------- Post added January 6th, 2015 at 05:20 PM ----------

AERIS : Accel Fin is an option.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that's one I hand't run across yet!

I'm preparing for my first Live-aboard trip on Blackbeards in late February and want to "carry-on" my regs, mask, computers and fins, but my fins are 23.5" long and my largest roll-aboard bag is 21.5" internally. As I see it, that leaves me two choices; spend roughly $100 for a new set of fins for travel use (that will fit in my roll-aboard), or find a back-pack style caryy-on bag that can accomidate my fins. Sicne I'm traveling to Europe 4-5x/year for work these days, a large carry-on sized back-pack would have the benifit of being able to make those trips easier as well ....Anyone have any reccomendations for back-packs they've used with full sized fins (or suggestions of packs to avoid like the plauge)?Thanks in advance for your help!SSSSteve
Steve. Finally got a chance to check and my fins are 24 inches. Easily fits the Kelty Rewing 50 and my duffle bag...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 76
Fins bend.

I'm trying to not check my fins because that's one thing I can't rent if my checked bag gets lost .....

Really? I have always figured that if anything can be rented it is fins. So if I am bringing all my gear I put fins in the suitcase. If i am only bringing some gear I bring computers/masks/regs/camera/gloves in a carry on and if drift diving also SMB and reel.

Back
Top Bottom