Carrying gear underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pepperbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have read many threads on how to carry gear- smb’s, bags of stuff, etc.
Is there any reason to not hang pouches or bags from a weight belt?
I put my weights in the weight pockets of my Zeagle Ranger bcd and dont use a weight belt.
Instead of wearing a thigh pocket or hanging stuff from a D-ring is there a reason to not use a belt?
I dont always carry a lot of stuff but I do carry a mesh bag for trash or goodies I find.

I've done it too when I've been diving with a jacket and missed having a proper harness. In your case just put some D-rings on a bare belt as Cameron suggested and you're good to go.

IIRC I used to position a D ring as a weight stopper on the left side to hang my blob on. That kept it closer to my body (more streamlined) than hanging it on the BCD but then it's obviously connected to your ditchable weight.

If you hang too much stuff on your weight belt then you might find it a little uncomfortable and obviously you need to be aware that if you ditch your weights you will lose that gear. That in itself could be a good argument for NOT hanging your blob on your weight belt if you believe that you may need it in an emergency (ie. boat diving offshore).

R..

Last edited:
Once I helped do drilling and cementing of new mooring U-bolts into the substrate at Stetson Bank, off the M/V SPREE.
We had to shuttle heavy bags of Portland cement down, and empties back up. I don't remember if we held the bags ourselves or whether they were clipped onto and suspended from the transit line and mooring line. I do remember they were a good piece of work to push against the surface current.
Wookie would remember, since he and his boat made these trips and did the work, with bozo volunteers like me.

Frank??

A bare weight belt as tool belt works quite well.

I've done it, no issues.
Cameron

I agree and an elastic rubber belt will be very comfortable and will say in place and not slide around.

Freedive Weight Belt | MAKO Spearguns

MFDWB-2T.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom