Carter Open or Halcyon Closed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ElectricZombie

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm debating on getting either a 100lbs Carter Open Circut lift bag or an 80lbs Halcyon Closed Circut lift bag, and cannot decide between the two.

The bag will mostly be used for emergencies or for drift deco situations. Most of the time I dive wet, but I am not opposed to adding an extra LP inflator to my first stage in order to use the Halcyon more effectively. I don't have a problem with disconnecting my inflator either but, I doubt that the hose will be long enough since it's around 18 inches or so.

I like the idea of the closed circuit bag, knowing that it WILL arrive at the surface. My only concern is its means of inflation and ease of use vs. the Carter.

Comments? Suggestions? :D

IMO the 100# is too big, if you use a Carter, get the 50#. I use both, 80# CC for deep serious deco dives, OC for single tank just to have along. But, I also dive dry so I have an easy means of inflating.

If I dove wet, I would either use the OC or have a drysuit inflator clipped off on waist to use for the CC bag.

Either will work well. Just a matter of diving style and personal taste.

MD

Have you checked out the 75 lb & 110 lb Carter Personal Floats?
They're a closed bag using a duckbill flapper, fills from reg exhaust. They ride a bit easier in heavy chop than a plain bag.

http://www.carterbag.com/personalfloat.html

rogerhelmich once bubbled...
I've got both. I use the CC
I use the carter's to lift things

That's what I'm leaning towards doing...just reserve the Carter for lifting and use the Halcyon for deco.

...from only carrying a CC to carrying both. I use the OC as primary in the MC pack and put the CC (Halcyon Big Dive Alert Marker) in a pocket as a backup and surface marker.

My CC became a PITA with I switched to an argon setup and I dislike the idea of disconnecting my suit inflator anyway.. Besides, when I dive wet I REALLY dislike the CC bag..

I use the halcyon bag for drift deco and emergency... and it's nice because it won't dump but it has a few drawbacks:

1. it's a pain in the neck to inflate fully in shallow water, you have to use your inflator hose because you cannot blow enough air into it..there is something about disconnecting my bouancy device in the ocean that bothers me...

2. Mine gets water in it every time I use it then I have to open the valve to get it out. kind of a hassle.

3. the inflator nipple gets in the way sometimes...

even after all this I still use it.

I also have a 100lb dive rite OC that I like alot but I have had it dump on me before..... I use it as a backup.

the halcyon is ok but it's not perfect....

:drown:

If you basically just need it for deco get the 6 lb marker from halcyon. Easy to inflate, and it fits in the drysuit pocket. That's what most of the DIR guys around here use, including me. I also have the 80 lb Halcyon, the huge marker, and the raft!! I may stick whichever one is most appropriate in my backplate pouch.

For everyday use the 6lb is nice because it inflates quickly, even orally (although I haven't tried inflating it orally, this part is hearsay).

It's an open design with an internal baffle to prevent spillage, seems to work ok.

It appears to be a minority opinion, but I use a Carter despite it's theoretical limitations and have never had a problem with it dumping air on the surface. Not that it could not happen, it just hasn't. I like its simplicity. There is really very little to go wrong, it unrolls in a predictable and orderly manner with the snap of your wrist and it is easy to unroll and inflate with a second stage even in zero visibility with heavy neoprene or dry gloves. It's low tech but it works and it's very reliable when properly used.

I also use a 100 lb bag so it is usually nowhere near fully inflated even when shot from depth and I think this tends to limit the potential for dumping air when it hits the surface or if it gets a bit of slack in the line during the diver's ascent. It's larger than smaller bags when rolled but still fits nicely between the tank and wing.

If you use a Carter though you need to make a small modification. The manual dump has a long pull cord inside the bag running to the dump valve. You need to remove the valve, reverse it and attach the ball to 2" cord on the valve itself.

This puts the dump ball at the top of the bag where it is less likely to snag on you or the reel when you shoot the bag. It also means the ball for the dump is rolled inside the bag where it is not going to snag any stray line or net during a dive.

And to top it off, if you lift and drop objects with the bag, you will be over the bag when you dump air to lower an object rather than under the bag where you could potentially get snagged and drug down with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom