Casa Del Mar/free rental car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matthewjen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The good news is we leave tonight for the island, the bad news is that Casa del mar wich we booked through orbitz for the week is now saying that we are not eligible for the free rental car (with limitations) wich we were expecting to use. This is not our first trip to Coz and we definatley know of other rentals and stuff ect.(isis has always been good) but I was wondering if anyone else has come across this issue with CDM? Still super excited to be leaving for Coz and nothing is going to ruin that but, come on man. I told my wife to include in our next e-mail to them the word PROFECO and see if that helps but she's worried that might just upset them, any advice.

Looks like the car was a book direct with the hotel deal.
Did Orbitz offer the car, too?

If no, you used a travel agency instead of booking direct. Casa del Mar paid commission for your booking instead of saving the commission, which they were willing to give to you in the form of a free rental car promo. Can't use the same money twice, even in Mexico!

If yes, you should take it up with Orbitz because, without the promo, you may have chosen a hotel closer to town. Right?!

It sounds more like an Orbitz issue then a problem with Casa del Mar. I've stayed at Casa del Mar several time and the only car promotions I've seen directly from them over the years were for a day or two of a free rental, never for the whole week.

Do you remember what Orbitz said you needed to do to qualify? There's always some catch to it.

We used Less Pay car rental when we were there in June. As I recall a VW with no AC was as little as $18/day (+ins I think). We ended up with a Jeep for ~$40-50/d total. They offered pick up/drop off at your hotel and even offered to give us a ride to the airport when dropping off the car on the last day, but we did run into a snag when they said they didn't have a car with plates that could goto the airport. Don't ask me why. Just ended up with a $10 taxi ride back to the airport.

I found that the rental places in town were more expensive. We also ran into a lack of selection and I can only take their word for it. Can't tell if they were trying to up-sell me to a Jeep.

I'll probably try them again next time.

Problem solved, kind of. They only offer the rental car when you book the superior room (beware) hotel issue not with orbitz. after explaining the issue and pointing out the info on the website (both orbitz and the hotel) we were reminded that we have only booked the standard room. So if you are going to casa del mar wether through orbitz or cdm be advised the promo that is being offered is only for the superior rooms. The good news is that orbitz for our hassles have come through with a nice little travel voucher that we can now use to book our own car for the week. Way better option for us, BUT we still have to book through orbitz. Oh well still going on vacation, can't complain.

There are many ways to book with Orbitz. If you book the hotel and car as a package, then request 200entertain discount, you can get the package for $200 less - phoning Orbitz may be required. Glad you got your problem resolved.
We used Less Pay car rental when we were there in June. As I recall a VW with no AC was as little as $18/day (+ins I think). We ended up with a Jeep for ~$40-50/d total. They offered pick up/drop off at your hotel and even offered to give us a ride to the airport when dropping off the car on the last day, but we did run into a snag when they said they didn't have a car with plates that could goto the airport. Don't ask me why. Just ended up with a $10 taxi ride back to the airport.

I found that the rental places in town were more expensive. We also ran into a lack of selection and I can only take their word for it. Can't tell if they were trying to up-sell me to a Jeep.

Haha, they pulled that Free-airport/no-airport crap on me the one time I rented from them. I've learned more about them and would never deal with them again.

This one Cozumel - Isis Rentadora - Cozumel, Mexico will rent you a car for $30/day "Tax & Liability Insurance & Collision Insurance Included" and they seem very popular here, but ask about the deductible. I really don't rent cars on Coz tho, so that's about all I have here.

I did lesspay before, but you might want to search these forums. There were some disturbing posts on Lesspay. I think our next trip will be Isis.

I did lesspay before, but you might want to search these forums. There were some disturbing posts on Lesspay. I think our next trip will be Isis.
I think maybe she reconsidered posting details and documents. People are being sued for reporting bad experiences here, on Trip Advisor, etc.

Problem solved, kind of. They only offer the rental car when you book the superior room (beware) hotel issue not with orbitz. after explaining the issue and pointing out the info on the website (both orbitz and the hotel) we were reminded that we have only booked the standard room. So if you are going to casa del mar wether through orbitz or cdm be advised the promo that is being offered is only for the superior rooms. The good news is that orbitz for our hassles have come through with a nice little travel voucher that we can now use to book our own car for the week. Way better option for us, BUT we still have to book through orbitz. Oh well still going on vacation, can't complain.

Not sure if you booked the hotel room alone on Orbitz, but - for example - I used dates in November to run a comparison - booking a CDM room AND a Hertz car for 7 days using the $200 off promo, a standard room is $365 and a ocean-view is $480. Booking the standard room alone - no car - shows at $559. So using the code easily pays for the car. Don't know how Orbitz does it, but we've used the hotel/car/promo deal for the last 3 years and it's been great. Saved us a fortune! Our next trip we're staying at Fiesta Americana, ocean-view room, with a Hertz car for $505 for the week.

Back
Top Bottom