Casa Del Mar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Anyone stay here when they go?

Looking to book reservations today and can't decide between the case del mar or casa martillo?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated !:wink:

I've stayed there 8 or 9 times, I've stayed as Casa Mexicana downtown once. I've never stayed at Casa Martillo but from what I've seen online, you're comparing apples to oranges. Should make it an easy choice for you.

Casa del Mar is a hotel, Casa Martillo is a condo, so it'll have much more space, amenities, etc.
It's closer to town than Casa del Mar, which is nice for eating out at night. I think it was 80 pesos for a cab one way to town from Casa del Mar last February. Casa Martillo will feel much more private I'm guessing. It looks to be a big upgrade from Casa del Mar, judging by the pictures.

Casa del Mar is a nice little place, and one of the cheapest for air/hotel deals from where I live.
It has a restaurant, tennis courts, a pool that you can swim up to the bar, and a nice "fake beach" area across the street. They have a great dock and I've never been charged to use it to get on dive boats. There's some pretty easy snorkeling there, though it was really ravaged by Wilma. They have an onsite dive op, but I've never used them.

Long and short of it, if you're looking to save money and Casa del Mar is considerably less expensive, I'd stay there and you won't be dissappointed, at least I've never been disappointed.
If money isn't an issue, I'd probably try the Casa Martillo. It looks nice, is close to town and it probably won't disappoint either.

I wrote a review on this board back in March or April. I think the title was Casa del Mar and Deep Blue 1-24-09 to 2-7-09, or something like that. There's more about Casa del Mar in there.

-Blair

Anyone stay here when they go?

Looking to book reservations today and can't decide between the case del mar or casa martillo?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated !:wink:

Use the "search" button right above and you will find tons of entries regarding Casa del Mar.

We normally stay there when its just the Wife and I.. We normally dive with Del Mar Aquatics (their on premise dive shop).

I never had a problem staying there, I just never had any good net connection there.. Otherwise its fine and clean and does its job to giving us a place to rest btw dives.

We stay at Casa Martillo while in Cozumel. We love the place. Nice 1 and 2 bedroom units, great pool, nice maid service, security, use of laundry and great location. You could walk to town but we always rent a car for the week.
For us, Casa Del Mar is a bit off the beaten track. We like to be closer to town. If you have any specific questions on Casa Martillo, I would be happy to answer them. Whatever you decide, I am sure you will have a great time in Cozumel.

Thanks for the replies ! We were leaning towards Martillo but just wondered if there was anything to do after diving .Noticed that Del Mar had a pool and appeared to be on the beach , they said Martillo was a couple blocks away. I think we will end up going with Martillo then !

Thanks so much.

Use the "search" button right above and you will find tons of entries regarding Casa del Mar.
Actually it is very difficult to search with the three letter words on a V-board search. I tried casa*del*mar* and got anything with casa in it.
We normally stay there when its just the Wife and I.. We normally dive with Del Mar Aquatics (their on premise dive shop).

I never had a problem staying there, I just never had any good net connection there.. Otherwise its fine and clean and does its job to giving us a place to rest btw dives.
My laptop gets poor reception but I was fine as long as I went to the lobby.
Thanks for the replies ! We were leaning towards Martillo but just wondered if there was anything to do after diving .Noticed that Del Mar had a pool and appeared to be on the beach , they said Martillo was a couple blocks away. I think we will end up going with Martillo then !

Thanks so much.
Casa del Mar is a nice hotel, nice grounds, pool, cafe, dive shop with lockers (take lock), etc. I didn't like the long hike from the rooms compared to Blue Angel, but that's just me. I've seen some outstanding package prices with air and that hotel on Sidestep.com - especially if you use Orbitz and Entertain200 coupon for $200 off on 5 nights or longer.

If you can get a special that include breakfasts and lunches, they are great. The dinners are good, but get old after 3 nights on AI.

Casa del Mar is a nice hotel, nice grounds, pool, cafe, dive shop with lockers (take lock), etc. I didn't like the long hike from the rooms compared to Blue Angel, but that's just me. I've seen some outstanding package prices with air and that hotel on Sidestep.com - especially if you use Orbitz and Entertain200 coupon for $200 off on 5 nights or longer.

If you can get a special that include breakfasts and lunches, they are great. The dinners are good, but get old after 3 nights on AI.

I'm another one that's not fond of the hike. It's not that far, even from a 3rd floor room, but if you don't dive with them you can't get a locker, so you're lugging equipment and that makes the hike even farther. (further?)

I wish they'd change their locker policy. I'd happily pay them locker rent for the convenience.

Oh, and I've never done any AI, but breakfast has always been included and it's a nice enough breakfast. Sometimes I've had drink credits included too. Sometimes
it was $50, sometimes $70, sometimes $100 and sometimes nothing at all. I think it has to do with how full the hotel is or something like that.

-Blair

My wife and I have been to Coz several times and we keep coming back to Casa Martillo. We love it there. It is a little bit out of the way, but that is its appeal to us! Quiet, but close enough to groceries, Baracuda, and not too far to the restaurants in town. If you're diving with DP, they'll let you use lockers at the Baracuda for a deposit.

I have stayed at Casa Del Mar a few times and have always dove with Del Mar Aquatics when staying there, so have used their lockers and not had a problem with the walk. You also get access to their beach resort off premesis.

The one nice thing about their AI is that its not a buffet, just order off the menu. Enough variety to keep it decent. Good cerviche and guacamole which we just had them bring for every meal.

WIFI Internet access is lobby only. So if you want internet access from your room, be sure to ask for a room close to the lobby.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom