Cash in Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanshin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Quick question. Do you know of any way of knowing the exchange rate €/pesos in the hotel Cozumel?

Is there any more cost effective and safe way of getting pesos once there?

I'm trying to decide how much money to bring in € and pesos.

All the times I've exchanged money in Mexico (which was minimal since USD are widely accepted - don't know about the Euro, but I've seen Canadian dollars accepted at restaraunts/bars/taxis/stores), it was at the resort's front desk (which I'm assuming our hotel will do, but I've never personally been there, so no gaurantees). They offer the same exchange rate as the bank would - not like if you go into a store or someplace off the street, who may round off to make it easier (for example, if it were 13 pesos to each dollar, they would give you 10 pesos per dollar). Most of the time, this will be a free service. I have been to hotels in other places who charge to do the exchange, and I've been to 1 hotel who only did it for free if you were part of their all inclusive deal.

Either way, I would check the hotel first, then a bank, before going to a currency exchange station (higher fee to do the exchange) or store (may not get the full value and possibly pay a fee).

been told the best way is at the Automatic Teller Machines, or maybe that was the easiest way, as you tell it how many Pesos you want and its done with the current exchange rate....

Quick question. Do you know of any way of knowing the exchange rate €/pesos in the hotel Cozumel?

Is there any more cost effective and safe way of getting pesos once there?

I'm trying to decide how much money to bring in € and pesos.

The exchange rate at hotels will be less in your favor then a bank.

Your best rates should be by using a debit card at a local ATM. However, I would suggest you open a new account at your bank and only deposit a minimal amount that you might want to access from Mexico, get a new debit card for it and notify the bank that you will be using it in Mexico. This will give you two things. 1) access to pesos at a good rate 2) minimize your exposure to fraud

Thanks for the replies. I'll check with my bank the possibility of getting a separate account and debit card so quick and I'll try to contact the hotel to see how big is the exchange difference.

On my last two trips, I have used the HSBC ATM at the megastore. The exchange rate and fees were very reasonable. Just be careful of the non-bank ATMs. I understand their fees can be high.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom