Casio Sea-Pathfinder SPF-70S Watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markfm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I picked up one of the multi-sensor Casios (depth/Temp/Barometric Pressure/Compass). It's rated to 100m.

Question -- has anyone used one of these, actually pushed buttons underwater to toggle the displays? For example, while doing diving time/depth, you're supposed to be able to press the compass button to get a bearing.

The manual indicates this is fine to do, but as an ex Timex Helix person I'm wary of this (my helix met its match when the stem caught, pulled out, and water got in)

(Gotta love the manual, which states not to use it for scuba, but it's rated for depth and describes the use of the compass while in dive mode)

Thanks!

markfm:
(Gotta love the manual, which states not to use it for scuba, but it's rated for depth and describes the use of the compass while in dive mode)

Thanks!

From my understanding regarding the water resistant indicator of watches, only watches that are WR 200m/20bar and above are meant for scuba diving. (At least that's what the watch technicians told me.)

so........................................

I was under the same impression. I picked up one of these at sam's club last year and then read the manual. When it got to the not recommended for scuba I took it back that day and got a solar G-shock that was rated for 200 meters. it lasted til may of this year. Luckily I bought an unlimited warranty. One of the solar collectors died or so they told me. I now have a pulsar diver 200 solar 4000. I love it! it does what it's supposed to do tell me the time and elapsed time via use of the bezel. It's big, easily read, and don't need to push any buttons. It's my understanding that 100M is more for skin and snorkeling. Why I don't know but for 100 bucks plus I'm not taking chances. Jim

PalauDiver: Thanks. I just used mine yesterday, it worked fine. I didn't try the compass, just depth/temp/timer. It looks like a nice backup (I prefer checking depth on the watch compared to my console, personal preference).

markfm:
I picked up one of the multi-sensor Casios (depth/Temp/Barometric Pressure/Compass). It's rated to 100m.

Question -- has anyone used one of these, actually pushed buttons underwater to toggle the displays? For example, while doing diving time/depth, you're supposed to be able to press the compass button to get a bearing.

The manual indicates this is fine to do, but as an ex Timex Helix person I'm wary of this (my helix met its match when the stem caught, pulled out, and water got in)

Thanks!

I got one too. I've been using it for I guess about a year.

I've had no problems with it in the water. It's even pretty easy to see and read. I use it the same as you suggested, as a backup. It even has a cool timer that logs the total time underwater, water temp and depth. Everything you need if your computer blinks out. Not a true "dive" watch, but it'll get the job done. Also, it will only read depths down to 98 ft. Why? don't know, even though it's rated WP to 100m. Maybe it's an effort to keep people from using as a dive watch, at the dictionary-sized users manual says in 26 different languages :11:

Be sure you switch to the depth mode before descending. The computer zeros the gauge for the altitude and ambient pressure every time you switch to the depth gauge. So if you switch it over while you are underwater, it assumes the depth your at is 0. Trust me...done it.

No problems switching to compass, etc, while UW.

My only beef with it is that the thing is BIG for a every day watch.

Anyway, enjoy.

Darin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom