Catalina Island - Diver dies while Lobstering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBA482

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was told by a friend of mine that a diver died yesterday while diving from a boat off Catalina. Has anybody heard of this yet or have any further information? I can't find the info in the local papers but it was reported on AM640 KFI radio this morning.

Man dies while lobster fishing off Catalina | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

A friend of mine was on the dive boat. Weather had nothing to do with the accident as conditions were excellent, and he was in closer to 90' of water.

The speculation is that he either had a heart attack or just plain ran out of air in the excitement of catching the lobsters but I'll wait for the official report.

probably the same..thanks..i'lll look at yours since it probably at least has the info

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

two threads about the same incident merged

How can the Coast Guard spokesman get everything wrong??

Dunno, but pulling up weather history shows it was clear with winds under 4 mph at the time the accident occurred.

So sorry to read about the tragedy. I have met the diver. My condolences to his family.
Also my support to all those present and involved in the incident. Something like this can be traumatic to witness.

Ohmygod. Now THIS one really hits home. This is my territory. I didn't know the lost diver, but I'm so saddened to hear this.

But I'm also extremely frustrated.

WHY WHY WHY do inexperienced divers go out on the WORST night of the year? The one night when the seas and reefs are packed with once-a-year divers...when boats are crammed so full that crew are overtaxed...when divers are paying less attention than normal to their buddies, so they can go after that bug in the kelp...Sigh....

It's heartbreaking. But I just don't understand why people do this. California diving is already some of the most challenging on the planet, with cold water, kelp, unpredictable currents. Night diving in these conditions adds exponentially to the challenge. Adding lobster hunting to that equation makes it all the more dangerous - when you are bug hunting, you are essentially diving solo because you simply can NOT give your buddy adequate attention if you are intent on chasing fast-moving bugs. I didn't hunt for lobsters until I had quite a few local dives under my belt, including many night and beach dives, and was diving frequently so that my skills were sharp. My first few bug hunts, I buddied up with experienced lobster hunters. Now that I have over 150 dives, I've been hunting for a few years - but I don't go out on opening night. Too crazy.

Every year, opening night is marred with some kind of incident, almost invariably due to inexperienced divers taking on this incredibly dangerous activity. It just breaks my heart...and makes me angry. What can be done? Should the boats set a minimum experience and/or dive frequency level for opening-night trips?

Of course this wouldn't help the situation at the beaches, were lobster hunting is even MORE dangerous...and where there are no controls whatsoever. At least on a boat, you've got somebody checking to see if the divers are even certified, and have the appropriate licenses. On the beach, anyone can dive in and see what they can come up with. IF they come up at all. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom