Catalina Island - Diver dies while Lobstering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For what it is worth.I was on a Charter Boat about 600 yards away when this incident happened.I just found this info today.I am for the most part a Solo Diver and take diving very much to heart and "Brain"!Safety has and always will be my #1 concern.I have been granted the blessing
to assist in to Low/out of air situations.All that dive with or near me come up"Alive" if i am in close
to my fellow diver and can respond.The input by all has been noted and affirmed as needed info that all diver's should heed and respect.
My heart and "Prayer's"go out to this family as well as the diver's that do not follow Safety Guide Lines.
Dive Safe to Dive Another Day
Bill

I'd be very interested in how those "bad diving" numbers line up across number of dives. In private aviation, there are a high number of mishaps with new pilots, but the majority of really bad (usually fatality) related incidents happen above 100 hours and under 1000 hours. This is the point where the pilot starts to feel like he "knows everything" and blunders into something beyond his skill. In diving my observations (no data to back this up) is that point seems to be between dives 30 and 300.
You can check DAN's Annual Accident Reports online. I'm afraid my "knows everything" period started well before 30 and I am still trying to survive it with nearly 400. For some of us it's a constant battle.

I couldn't agree more with Ken and MB William, there is a line between experience and complacence, fuzzy at best. I believe I can speak for virtually all divers when I say that we have all probably done something stupid at one time or another. Sometimes stupid or inattentive kills, mostly not. Sad when it does.

I couldn't agree more with Ken and MB William, there is a line between experience and complacence, fuzzy at best. I believe I can speak for virtually all divers when I say that we have all probably done something stupid at one time or another. Sometimes stupid or inattentive kills, mostly not. Sad when it does.

Usually it kills when one bad decision is followed by another bad decision IMO. Most of the A&I reports and following discussions eventually come around to "when this happened, if the diver had done x instead of y, it could have been different". Went to their buddy instead of trying to surface when OOA, dropping their weights before removing their BC, etc. Stuff happens, but how a diver deals with it makes all the difference.

usually it kills when one bad decision is followed by another bad decision imo. Most of the a&i reports and following discussions eventually come around to "when this happened, if the diver had done x instead of y, it could have been different". Went to their buddy instead of trying to surface when ooa, dropping their weights before removing their bc, etc. Stuff happens, but how a diver deals with it makes all the difference.

imo.{ditto}

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom