Catastrophic or Aquastrophics??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I learned everything covered in my Nitrox course off the internet in advance of the course. It's very easy material and I do not believe there is much point in doing dives in the course.

So if I could redo my nitrox course I would go for the cheapest one available that would be recognised at shops.

I learned everything covered in my Nitrox course off the internet in advance of the course. It's very easy material and I do not believe there is much point in doing dives in the course.

So if I could redo my nitrox course I would go for the cheapest one available that would be recognised at shops.

The part of your post I've bolded is the major issue in this thread (at least as it currently stands--the original post is two and a half years old). I don't think the message is that a Nitrox course shouldn't be done through online study or that it should cost any specific amount of money. The point is that the certifying "agency," SDA, isn't recognized and the instructor, David Holt, is no longer credentialled through his former agency, NAUI. I haven't reviewed the material the course is based on, so I have no idea whether it offers quality instruction.

I see a window of opportunity for anyone in the position to ....exploit it! i mean lets really boil it all down to what it is! nitrox should be a industry standard! why would an open water recreational diver not be taught nitrox diving from the jump, if they can teach u in one night and 2 dives? if ur somewhere that nitrox is not available then ur downgrading right?

Greetings all and i have opinions and thoughts on the training of NItrox use however I do believe that on-line training is very acceptable.
I do believe that the dives are good idea and from my experience, I learned far more than was required to dive up to 40% Nitrox safely. Other than several equations and some procedures I was prepared for the Advanced Nitrox the use of up to 100% O2.

I benefitted from a instructor of whom taught above and beyond the call of duty and made instruction and the practical dives fun exciting and well worth the experience.
I like the on-line option and it is more than acceptable but if you aspire to continue to the Advanced Nitrox level then you might want to go the traditional route.
In the end you need to make up your own mind and follow your own path.

Nitrox is a great tool for divers but you must follow the rules very carefully.
Do not allow complacent behavior to overtake your dive practices.
It is your responsibility to monitor your own gas and use it safely.
It is your choice to decide how to train and best receive your instruction and how much you will pay for it.

Good luck and safe diving!
CamG keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom