Caution! Potential Vytec hoseless hazard.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I seem to recall from the Vytec manual a discussion about making sure you're not on the same code as anyone else in your team? Presumably the new change will involve lengthening the code to avoid this problem? I've always wondered why the units don't just send their serial number (*unique serial number*) with the ability on the wrist unit to change the s/n you're looking for, like the DataTransPlus did.

The current Vytec is unsuited for tech diving with stages, unless you ignore the pressure gg mode alltogether.

The change they are contemplating will require a specific pressurization/depress sequence to cause the code to change, otherwise it will hold the last set code.

I'm talking with Sten about the "protocol" for this to insure that there is no chance that a legitimate event underwater could reasonably lead to a code change.

Frankly, I think you should be able to re-pair underwater, but that would require a change in the HANDSET, which they appear to not want to do.

Atticus once bubbled...

The current Vytec is unsuited for tech diving with stages

Agree unless its in gauge mode. And it's way too expensive for a bottom timer.

MD

Disclaimer: This is not an official statement from Suunto.

But I was discussing this issue with a Suunto rep who told me that the fix (available within a couple of months) would not be an "upgrade", but a new transmitter that would have to be purchased.

I think what you say they are doing is more reasonable than allowing re-pairing underwater. I'd rather have the UW interface as simple as possible. If there is a command sequence to re-pair underwater, I could enter it inadverntantly and cause some inconvenience. There is also a miniscule probability that I re-pair with my buddy's transmitter.

If you just keep the code the same, then all problems are gone, and the only problem is potential conflict between buddies, which can be remedied before the dive, if both people are diving with Vytecs.

Genesis once bubbled...
The change they are contemplating will require a specific pressurization/depress sequence to cause the code to change, otherwise it will hold the last set code.

I'm talking with Sten about the "protocol" for this to insure that there is no chance that a legitimate event underwater could reasonably lead to a code change.

Frankly, I think you should be able to re-pair underwater, but that would require a change in the HANDSET, which they appear to not want to do.

WileEDiver once bubbled...
Disclaimer: This is not an official statement from Suunto.

But I was discussing this issue with a Suunto rep who told me that the fix (available within a couple of months) would not be an "upgrade", but a new transmitter that would have to be purchased.

If this were true, I would expect them 'upgrade' by just taking the old transmitter and replacing it with a new version at a low price. After all, the cost of manufacturing the transmitter would be pretty low.

Genesis, I've never tried this at depth (never needed to so far) but on the surface when this has happened and I get the FAIL signal for moving out of range for a while (during the surface interval), I can just turn the HP setting off and back on again in the preferences and it seemed to reset the code.

I'm aware of that above water, but you can't get to the mode screens underwater in dive mode.

if it happens on the surface you can hit one of the buttons in surface mode (I think its the right one) and when the code is displayed the arrow on the OTHER button will illuminate. If you hit the OTHER button the code is cleared and you can then re-pair.

This also doesn't work underwater, although ironically the code DOES come up! So you can get to the code display, but you can't clear it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom